Data Usage

Last Updated:

1. BLJones

BLJones Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I checked on the at&t my wireless app 3 days ago(Day 9) and it said I had used 500+mb I check today (Day 12) and it says I used 1156 mb. In the first 3 days is when I downloaded all my apps, Ive been on wifi alot and using opera mini when Im on 3g. This has to be a mistake on there part.

Advertisement
  2. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

are you running pandora alot??

maybe you left some kinda streaming music or video site running in the background?

have you tried to use advanced task killer?

3. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

Welcome to the metered data party! ;-(

Odds are some of the apps you downloaded are grabbing stuff in the background.

4. BLJones

I kill all my apps after im done using them. There is absolutely no way I used more data in the last 3 days than I did in the first 9 days. In the first 9 days is when I downloaded all my apps so I wasnt expecting to go over. I think there is a problem with my phone. I think it still uses 3g when im on wifi because I sometime see the upload and donload meter going sometimes. there has to be a mistake on there part. My plan doesnt start over till the 20th of August. Im going to see about getting a unlimited plan through complaining or lying. I have been a customer for 10 years and pay close to 300 a month for 3 phones, house phone, and internet so hopefully they dont want to lose me. I had a smartphone and they sent me a refurbished one that was broke and then would not take it back so I bought a future phone to hold be over untill My update was ready and now am stuck with 2gb of data that I can run out of in 15 days.

5. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

1. If you have an app using 3G when you enable wifi, the 3G radio may not disengage and the app may not switch to wifi.

2. If your wifi sleep policy is wrong it will switch back to 3G whenever the screen times out (gee I wonder why AT&T would set the default this way :rolleyes: ) so set your sleep policy to "never". The wifi radio uses uses way less battery than the 3G anyway.

3. There is no way yet to turn off 3G - AT&T removed that option from the phone.

4. Built in AT&T apps suck 2-5MB a day in the background. Nothing you can do about it without rooting.

6. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas Well-Known Member

I'm using switch pro widget and it lets me turn off my 3g just fine. I don't think I can disable 3g while still enabling edge since it shuts off the data connection completely, but that seems to be what the OP is going for. I'm also using juice defender which automatically shuts off my data connection if a known wifi connection is available (ultimate juice is required for this function).

I am a heavy phone/internet user, and so far I have used 18.7MB of data on my plan this month. I highly recommend ultimate juice to try to cut back on your data usage. I think it cost like $4 or something like that but it was well worth it. It also really does make a big difference in my battery life too, as long as I can keep from playing with the phone all day.

7. el frugalista

el frugalista Member

I second the recommendation for Ultimate Juice; have had it 3 days so far and has really made a difference in both power and data use. And the Juice Plotter widget is really handy to see the consumption curve as you tweak the settings.

8. BLJones

I knoew how to turn off 3g and like I said I kill apps every 3 mins or so. I also set my wifi to not shut off.

9. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

How do you do that? I don't see any settings for a 'sleep policy'. Of course, sometimes I think I am half blind.

10. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

When you go in your wifi settings, hit the menu button again and choose Advanced.

Also if your wifi is disconnecting and re-connecting or your phone is too far from your AP whatever you have running will swap to 3G when the wifi signal is lost, and might not swap back to wifi when wifi comes back in range. Just FYI. It's a bug.

11. tyte

tyte Well-Known Member

i also recommend ultimate juice.. because it allows customization features that the free edition does not offer...

Use wifi whenever you know you can...

I also use 3G watchdog which monitors your 3g Usage and count the amount of data you use. If also download the APN app you can set a max data usage limit and if the counter approaches that threshold 3g will shut off and if its turned on again it gets shut off....

i haven't reached my set limit of 1.9gb yet... because im only at 803.97 MB according to the counter... i've been using my phone since launch day...

i also am a heavy music user/internet user... i browse a few websites and check e-mail.. and i stream iheart radio and pandora whenever i can put my headphones on :)

hopefully you'll get this all sorted out good luck

CherishD85 likes this.
  12. BLJones

Thanks. I could accept if I had used that much data but to use more data than I had used in the first 9 days that I had the phone is near impossible witth all the precautions I have been taking. The bad thing is I still have 21 more days until it starts over. I got my phone a few days early and my data usage did not end when the billing cycle ended.

13. MeVirtually

MeVirtually Active Member

10 days ago I checked my usage, and it said I had used ~120MB in the first two days of my billing cycle. Specifically 100MB was reported at around 3pm when I was at home one afternoon, and then another 20MB when I was out and used Maps a couple times to check traffic. Since then I discovered and changed the Wi-Fi to sleeping issue, installed APNDroid and Quick Settings which both can control the 3G radio (provided a connection isn't already present), been vigilant about checking my usage by dialing the AT&T data usage code in the contact list, and all seems ok. I have seen that the number of txts that AT&T's data usage code says I've used has been delayed, where days I do more txting show only a few more than the previous report I request, and vice versa. So I wonder if there isn't some delay in the system, and it lumps activity together, but I'm not sure, because I don't recall ever going to my account online and seeing any recent activity missing, and it certainly doesn't account for a huge jump like that out of nowhere. It makes me a little nervous though, when I see the AT&T apps running while on wi-fi, what do they do when I'm out and not checking the task manager.