Data usage

Last Updated:

1. for a pound

for a pound Active Member

What is your household usage in a month
    was just checking my usage on my nexus 7 and it came in at 32.25 GB for January and got me thinking, what our family usage for the month is
    We are a family of 4 with 2 laptops, 4 smart phones (2 I phones 2 androids phones) 2 Xbox's both with live, 2 android tablets and a iPad mini
    we run fibre optic broadband with 65 download and 12 upload which is £40 or $60 a month
    It's coming in at 278 GB data usage for the month of January

Advertisement
  2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

278GB?! In a month?!

That's more than we use in a year! Mind you, we only have 2 lappies and 2 smart phones (1 Android, 1 iPhone), no tablets or games machines.

I guess you must watch a lot of movies or TV via t'interweb to rack up that much. We don't do too much of that.

We also only pay around
  3. jimmerz

jimmerz Member

LOL! I use .5 GB and my wife uses almost 2GB on just our 2 phones. I have home interent so I do not jkeep track of the PC...

WOW!
  4. for a pound

It does seem a lot I guess but it was part of the holiday season and we would watch 1 or 2 movies a night and god knows what my 18 year old is up to in his room
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

On my phone I pay for 500MB month, but never exceed it, it's mostly browsing and IM. On PCs probably 50-80GB month, that's a guess. It could be more, as sometimes I'm downloading movies and music. This month it will be much less, because I'm away from home for a few weeks and there's no fixed cable or DSL internet here. I've pre-paid for 3GB of 3G EV-DO wireless that I'm using with my Linux laptop, with a USB 3G modem.
  6. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

OP.. where do you live?

Fiber optic ...speeds are great!!! 65mbs down! only $60/month? wow

we only have 15mbs down on wifi... $30/month (Arlington texas usa)
  7. for a pound

Northern Ireland
    We all got upgraded a few months ago with no extra cost but we had to take out a new contract with the ISP
  8. SiempreTuna

Yeah - that could account for quite a hunk of bandwidth :)
  9. topche

topche Member

year: 2012, month: 9
    total:
    231G OUT
    469G IN
    700G TOTAL
    it is not so much I think ...
  10. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

that sounds like a lot!
    :rolleyes:
  11. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

My wife uses at most 1 1/2 gigs on her i5. I usually average around 2 1/2 gigs a month
  12. for a pound

If you've got it you may as well abuse it (unlimited broadband)
  13. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Hmmm...I never gave any thought to going to the trouble of keeping track of my data usage. At least in the context in which it's being discussed. Don't know, don't care.
  14. SiempreTuna

Wow! 700GB in a month?!

And 231GB of it going up? That's a lot of YouTube posts ;)
  15. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no idea how much data i use on my wifi. on my phone and tablet while out and about, i use less than 3 gigs. but at home, wow I have NO IDEA! lol
  16. for a pound

Well soap your arse and slide on
  17. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Why 4G may lead to bigger smartphone bills | Money - Home

I have no objection if people want to pay for it, but for those of us who tend to use wifi more than carrier and keep it under 2G to have prices increased stinks.

If everyone wants you to use NFC to pay for services and products, how much data will that eventually use?
  18. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

you ... you.. scare me!!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  19. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i cant see that using much... it only send and sending small amount of info with security.
    i would guess.. less than 1kb each transaction
  20. SiempreTuna

Don't quite see how NFC affect network data usage - I thought it is like (or actually 'is', some say) bluetooth, so is point-to-point, never going near the network.
  21. Mehta23

Mehta23 Well-Known Member

I've never kept a rom or an app long enough to know how much I've used... I'll be back in a month with an answer!

Atm its just me on my phone and on my PC. When my sister's home, she's taking up my bandwidth with her phone, iPad and laptop. :p
  22. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

35-40gb on nexus 10.

Gnex mobile data 2.5-3Gb , 1-1.5gb on wi-fi
  23. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

The store has a record of the transaction. You now have a "prior" relationship with the store allowing them to call or spam which will use data if the spam is graphic. Email and sync will use data - maybe not much at one time, but frequent use will add up.

If it's a merchant you frequently use, that's one thing. But if it's on a vacation and a merchant you are not likely to use again, that is another story.

This is from the bottom of a How to Geek email:
    "We can understand if you don't have the time to read every single email. Instead of unsubscribing, you can change your subscription to only send periodically instead of every day. Just click the button below."

Someone has an idea of the issue of too many emails