Data useage advice please.

Last Updated:

1. grindboy

grindboy Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys.

I've got the Hero on pre-order and I'm now looking for a network to run it on. I'm on a fairly limited budget (student) so I'm looking at the Virgin Mobile

Advertisement
  2. DanGrover

DanGrover Well-Known Member

I have the Magic and I always have everything turned on to sync. I'll take a look at my NetCounter stats now (I'm in a similar situation as you - wifi at home and uni):

Cell in the last 30 days: 222.66MB
    Wifi in the last 30 days: 1.167GB

So there you go - I'm on Vodafone and our fair usage cap is 500mb, but I've never gone over 300mb I don't think. It's not because I restrict myself either (though I was trepidacious at first that I might have to), it's simply that I'm usually near some wifi connection.

3. grindboy

Oh cool! Cheers Dan. That's really helped :)

4. mrpbunny

mrpbunny New Member

I just got the Hero on Orange, they have a 500MB monthly cap but I have wifi at home, and wifi at the vast majority of other places I'd use the data connection so I'm not too worried about going over it.

Thanks to Dan though for mentioning NetCounter - just installed it to keep track of usage.

5. DanGrover

DanGrover Well-Known Member

No problem, it's very handy - just one thing, though. I got an app called Closeeverything which is nice and handy for... well, closing everything. If you notice your phone getting a bit choppy, it kills all the processes except the necessary ones, and anything else you launch gets booted again. You'll have to make sure you add NetCounter to the do-not-close list, or else (I believe) it stops counting between then and whenever you next start that app.

6. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

I had my eye on NetCounter too as I'll be needing to keep an eye on things. I'm glad to hear it does what it claims no bother.

I'd have looked into writing my own version if it didn't exist :)

7. grindboy

Those are really good tips Dan cheers for those. My Hero arrives tomorrow so I'll get these apps installed.