Data?General

Last Updated:

1. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to make sure that I'm am using just wifi and not verizons data? It seems as though I am using ALOT of data for someone that don't leave the house but a few days a week.

Advertisement
  2. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member

Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks> Uncheck "Mobile Network"

You can mark it down, if you do that you will not use any Data at all. Also, there is a widget you can put on your home screen to turn it on and off a lot easier than that. It is already on your phone.

Long press on the home screen>Widget>Settings>Mobile Network

mills23 likes this.
  3. nkk

nkk Well-Known Member

Why? I am not picking on you, but why would you want to do stop it? You are required to have unlimited data, so why not use it?

Nkk

4. wcx86

wcx86 Well-Known Member

You can also hold the power button down and toggle 3G on/off.

5. MalfunctioningRoboticBoy

MalfunctioningRoboticBoy Member

it's that baby that's using all that bandwidth

6. mills23

I was just checking into the rumored data plans and wanted to see if I could save a few bucks.

7. mills23

8. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

The more smart phone users that use a lot of data, the more likely VZW is to changed to a tiered plan so they can charge (even more!) for data. If we ALL made an effort to use Wifi instead of 3G when available, the demand on VZW's system would be less and they (theoretically) would be less likely to exploit data usage.

OP- Use the widget that controls all of the different settings, it's great. Also, VZW put a widget on my phone during 2.2 that's called Data Usage that I've put on one of my screens to track how much I'm using. I can tell you it's WAY more than 150mb!

9. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing for my wife. She runs our business from home and her "multimedia" phone stinks for when she is out but we really don't want to spring another 20 bucks a month for unlimited with her being around wifi almost all the time.

It's definitely worth it for us for another 5 bucks ($15 plan for 150mg as opposed to $10 for 25mb) to get a real smart phone.

I was thinking that she would just leave on the wifi all day and only toggle the data network when she is out. Side questions: How do you think the battery would hold up with wifi on all day with the data network off? Also, would MMS work with it unchecked during the day?

10. androidxen

androidxen Well-Known Member

Wifi supposedly uses less battery than mobile data, especially if you're not wandering around hopping from network to network.

11. Mac_Leod

Mac_Leod Well-Known Member

In my experience, WiFi usage trumps 3G usage. If you're connected to a wifi network, you won't be using any 3G data, without even having to turn off the 3G connection.

If you're worried about your data usage, I recommend downloading 3G Watchdog. You can set a cap and have it warn you if you're getting close.

dgold82 and Vaseline Smith like this.
  12. NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Yea, I'd leave wifi on everytime you're home and you won't be using 3G at all. Like others said, once connected to wifi, 3G will be disabled.

Definitely turn off wifi as soon as you're out of wifi rage or it'll drain your battery. You can also check out apps such as Y5.