Data ?General

Last Updated:

1. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On the nationwide select plan it says 1.99MB for data. Well if you have to have the data plan for 30.00$ do you still have to pay the 1.99 for every MB used also.

Advertisement
  2. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

No you would not.

4. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

nope

5. thelion

thelion Well-Known Member

Nope. That 1.99 is if you don't have a data plan or if you were to go over your data plan. But worry, not. Your data plan is unlimited and thus you will never pay that 1.99 per MB. Which is good. Because that could add up REAL quick.

6. entelechy3

entelechy3 Well-Known Member

Is it really "unlimited," though? I was under the impression there was a 5 gig monthly cap. Not that this really matters for phone usage; I don't download that much stuff on my phone itself. But I was starting to toy around with the idea of tethering, in which case a 5 gig cap could come into play very easily.

Any ideas?

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member

It's not unlimited, it's 5 gigs. 5 gigabytes is a LOT for normal use of a phone. But tethering would make it pretty easy to hit that cap.

If you really think you're going to want to use your computer wirelessly a lot, look into Verizon's Mobile Broadband or similar services. It's expensive on Verizon, $39.99 for only 250MB a month or $59.99 for 5GB. Totally not worth it IMO.

8. onion

onion Banned

You can browse the web tethered on your laptop for 40 hours per month and still not hit the 5gig red flag.

Dont worry about it.

9. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member

The smartphone plan is unlimited. The 5gb cap is only for the mobile broadband plans or if you officially tether, which isn't even available on the Eris yet.

10. Sketchee

Sketchee Well-Known Member

That's not what I've been hearing on this board and elsewhere: verizon 5gb smartphone cap - Google News

11. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member

If you actually read the articles and not just the search page you would see that every one that mentions the 5gb cap is either talking about mobile broadband or tethering to a computer because there is no cap on cellphone data.

12. rdalev

rdalev Well-Known Member

Verizon will not sell you an Eris without adding a data plan !

13. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

I had the same question about 5 gig cap and i read a whole bunch of articles telling me about the 5 gig cap.
    Why trust some sketchy articles? I called customer service and a nice lady explained to me that whatever i do online on my phone is unlimited, however when i start tethering then a 5 gig cap comes.

14. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

This is truth.

Using your phone, data is unlimited.
    Tethering, you have a 5GB cap before you start paying a certain amount per megabyte or kilobyte.

15. thelion

thelion Well-Known Member

Christ, I am sick of hearing this (no offense to you). It is truly unlimited. That cap is for mobile broadband, not the smartphone data package. It is unlimited.

If you tether right now, you may get busted and you may get charged for your usage. I saw it happen over on another forum with a Droid. I don't know about the Eris but the Droid is not a tethering phone (as in VZW does not want you doing it) just yet. So, in that case, it is not unlimited. Tethering is supposed to come to the Droid in early 2010. YMMV for Eris.

16. GlassJoe

GlassJoe Active Member

What is the difference between the "email & web for Smartphones" for $29.99 option and the "unlimited data" for $44.99 plans? I'm getting my Droid for Xmas and I have the $29.99 option. I'm really only concerned because of apps like Pandora which streams data and the first time you run it, it tells you that it uses a lot of data. Sorry for the noob question but I find it a little confusing.

17. mpciii

mpciii Well-Known Member

44.99 for businesses, 29.99 for individuals. Both are unlimited, enjoy your music. Pandora is great by the way.

18. GlassJoe

GlassJoe Active Member

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy response.