• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Date and access to certain applications

Geos1

Sep 25, 2011
I found out that my phone supports dates as back as 1980. When i choose 1980 i cant use youtube play store (android market) or the phones company widget for email. So i have to wonder. Am i restricted to set the date as i please? Do the terms of service specify i have to set the correct date in order to have full access on the applications?

Im using preinstalled applications not third party.
When you purchase something sometimes there are disclaimers like: Internet connection required, x part sold seperately, x software required etc. Shouldnt in this case be something like "recent date settings required"? What is the difference?

Upvote 0
Hi, Wonder if this is the same problem I'm having which I posted about yesterday? My email stopped syncing, and when I took the battery out and put back in, it reset the date to 1/1/80 and the time to 00:00. I've taken the battery out before, but never had this problem.

I still can't set my email up again though, it just says it "can't connect to server".

Any ideas?
Adrian

Upvote 0
Propably yes. You have to set the date to 2012 or close to that or you will get security warnings and no email. I dont know why the date resets it didnt do it always to me either.

Its frustrating to do it everytime you take the battery off thats why i opened this thread. My sim and SD are not hop-swapable.

Upvote 0
This has kept the time and date now, but I still can't set up my Exchange ActiveSync email (I deleted it the other day when it wasn't syncing, hoping I could just reinstall it, which I've done a few times in the past when it's given me annoying Sync Protocol Errors). When I even go into just create a new email account it's telling me it can't connect to the server, that's before I've put my work email details in!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones