• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Date / Time update

dtjames

Jun 20, 2010
Hi,

I took the battery out of my HTC Desire yesterday to carry out some routine dust maintenance.

When I replaced the battery, I noticed that the date/time had reset itself to sometime way in the past (1980?). I left it like this for a while and it didn't seem to updated and in fact only updated itself when I logged onto my WiFi home network.

I should also clarify that the check-box for "use Network-provided values" was checked as "Automatic" I even unchecked and re-checked this box a few times to see if it triggered synchronization with the Vodafone satellites. I also restarted the phone a few times to see if that would work.

Is there some kind of internal power source (other than the main battery) which stores the date/time whilst the battery is removed?

Any information would be welcome as I am a stickler for keeping my phone working perfectly, and it is still under warranty.

Thanks.

I think ( willing to be corrected ) that the network update only happens when you make a call / receive a text. That's what I normally do to trigger the change.

Hippo

Just tried this and the time didn't update - stayed on Jan 6 1980.

Would someone be kind enough to remove their battery to see if it happens to them please? Does the time update immediately when you put it back in? Or do you have to activate Wifi (or maybe 3G) for it to correct itself?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is no-one prepared to remove and replace their battery for me please ?!

Or...if someone knows how the phone usually stores the time/date whilst the battery is removed, please let me know how to reactivate/test this.

I'm sure mine used to store the detail when I was changing my SD card. Not sure why it doesn't any longer.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
It only updated when you connected to wifi or 3g. This is because until it can make a connection to the outside world your phone does not know what time it is.
Imagine if you will suddenly waking up in the morning and having to set your watch/phone to the correct time just using guess work, fairly difficult I imagine. Now if you put the tv on and look at the time on the news it would be easy for you to set the correct time.
This is the same for your phone, it cant just guess the right time it needs to be told what time to set itself to via your wifi or 3g connection.

I hope this has helped you if so please thank:D

Upvote 0
It only updated when you connected to wifi or 3g. This is because until it can make a connection to the outside world your phone does not know what time it is.
Imagine if you will suddenly waking up in the morning and having to set your watch/phone to the correct time just using guess work, fairly difficult I imagine. Now if you put the tv on and look at the time on the news it would be easy for you to set the correct time.
This is the same for your phone, it cant just guess the right time it needs to be told what time to set itself to via your wifi or 3g connection.

I hope this has helped you if so please thank:D

This all makes sense but what does the "Use network-provided values" mean under Settings > Date & Time?

Does everyone's phone reset to 1980 then?

Also, I just removed the battery again to test it, and it wouldn't update via 3G ("H" quality signal).

Is there a way to force the sync with the network-provided values please?

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
This all makes sense but what does the "Use network-provided values" mean under Settings > Date & Time?
This is just the date and time as set by your network provider, you can uncheck this and set your time and date manually if you want to.

Does everyone's phone reset to 1980 then?
If you uncheck network provided values and go into your date settings you will probably find that 1980 is the earliest date your phone will go back to. So there is no significance to this date. My phone for example will only go back as far as 1991.

Also, I just removed the battery again to test it, and it wouldn't update via 3G ("H" quality signal).
As for this its probably just a poor quality signal for the reason it wont update.

Is there a way to force the sync with the network-provided values please?
When you go into the menu/accounts and sync/ check auto sync.

If useful click thanks button, thanks:D

Reactions: dtjames
Upvote 0
Checking email made no difference either.

However, I did find a way of getting it to update automatically without using WiFi or 3G...

If you remove and replace your battery and your phone reboots to a distant date/time in the past (and doesn't immediately update itself), simply turn your phone off and then back on again using the power button on the top of the unit.

This resets my time and date perfectly every time.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Checking email made no difference either.

However, I did find a way of getting it to update automatically without using WiFi or 3G...

If you remove and replace your battery and your phone reboots to a distant date/time in the past (and doesn't immediately update itself), simply turn your phone off and then back on again using the power button on the top of the unit.

This resets my time and date perfectly every time.

Regards.

I've been having this problem a lot with my Desire HD, I'm sure it used to auto update but the last two or three times I've taken the battery out I've had the same problem you had. Will try your fix next time (last time I spent so long fiddling to no avail, this time I just set the time manually.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones