de-integrate from facebook

Last Updated:

1. TeraHTC

TeraHTC Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to use the facebook app without having it take over my whole phone? I logged into the facebook app, but now my contact list is full of facebook contacts, etc. Its kind of annoying. How can I make my facebook account STAY in the facebook app and not integrate with the rest of the phone?

Alternately, is there an easier way to organize contact lists than doing it directly on the phone? Is there a desktop application that will make it easier to do things like make lists of contacts that actually have phone numbers and are not from facebook?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

When you first signed into the facebook app it should have asked if you wanted to sync information about all contacts, only contacts found in your phonebook or none at all.

If you go into the settings you should be able to switch it to none at all.

3. TeraHTC

Do you know which settings? I can't find it. I did find something under account settings that had an option to sync contacts with facebook, but when I unchecked it the facebook contacts did not disappear.

At this point I have contacts syncing haphazardly between my gmail contacts, my phone contacts (copied by sprint physically from my old phone), my Apple address book on my mac, and my address book on my ipod touch. Its getting very messy, full of duplicates and mistakes. I'd love a desktop application that somehow lets me centrally and smoothly organize it all and then copy it back to those various places. Any ideas? (Maybe I should post that as a separate thread...)

4. Xyro

Make sure you post that new thread in the Sprint Hero section ;)

The settings I was talking about are actually part of the facebook app, not android's own settings. Although you will find the 'Facebook for HTC Sync' in the main android settings >> accounts and sync. It's possible that's adding stuff to your contacts too.

5. TeraHTC

Oh... weird. Once I found an area called "HTC Hero" I didn't look for another one called "Sprint HTC Hero". But now I see the difference.

I am a bit confused about the facebook app overall. When I look at my list of apps there is only one thing called Facebook, but when I do something like share a photo, I get two options in the "share via" list, and one of them says "facebook" and the other says "facebook for HTC Sense". So maybe I have two apps and one of them is hidden... I'm not sure.

Anyway, within the facebook app I don't see any options about syncing contacts. For the main phone settings under "accounts and settings" I just deleted my facebook account. When I go to the facebook app it still has me logged in, and when I go to People it still has all the facebook people. Maybe it won't sync them again, but it sure didn't delete them.

6. jxr94

jxr94 Well-Known Member

Yea FB does kind of dominate the phone. The best things i can suggest is maybe not delete the account but uncheck the sync options and then resync your google account.

7. Xyro

Yeah, there was mention it might get renamied to the HTC Hero (GSM) section, but it never happened. So we get a lot of Sprint/CDMA users over there :p

HTC Sense is a theme/skin/UI replacement for android. It comes with a lot of extra features and apps that you don't get in vanilla android, one of which is Facebook for HTC Sense. It can sync pictures and status updates and so on with your contacts. So you don't have an extra app installed. I don't think Facebook for Sense has the power to add new contacts, so I don't think that's to blame.

Anyway, if you go to the facebook app main screen, hit the menu button, go to the settings and scroll down you should see an option called 'Sync Contacts. Pick the third option 'Remove Facebook Data' and hopefully that should remove all of the extra contacts from your phonebook.

8. TeraHTC

I just don't see any option there that says "sync contacts". I wonder why?

Under Facebook>Menu>Settings I see: Refresh Interval, Notifications, Messages, Friend Requests, Event Invites, Vibrate, Phone LED, Notification Rington, and then Helpful Tips.

I wonder if I somehow got a different version of the facebook app?

9. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

it should show under menu > settings > accounts and sync. personally, facebook is about to get the heave-ho entirely from me. i have 2 friends that it's deleted and "virtually" blocked from me, twice in the past week. literally we can't search each other, see each other in mutual friend's list or anything, and neither of us has the other blocked. kinda sucks because i only have like 50 friends, and others have hundreds of friends and don't have this problem.