• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deactive (or reactivate) Incredible?

VolsMcFalls

May 14, 2010
Ok, so my wife and I upgraded from our Incredibles. I have factory reset both for resale, but am running into a problem.

Her Incredible reset just fine. Back to the activation screen. I assume whoever buys this phone (if anyone) will just activate the phone as their own? I am not sure the process they will go through.

But, on my rooted Incredible, I reflashed to stock 2.2 and did a factory reset afterwards. But, my Incredible boots to the home screen. No activation or anything. Is this because I am rooted?

I know I will get the question from the buyer, so I'll ask here since I don't know the answer...how do they activate the phone if it doesn't give the activation screen?

Ok, so my wife and I upgraded from our Incredibles. I have factory reset both for resale, but am running into a problem.

Her Incredible reset just fine. Back to the activation screen. I assume whoever buys this phone (if anyone) will just activate the phone as their own? I am not sure the process they will go through.

But, on my rooted Incredible, I reflashed to stock 2.2 and did a factory reset afterwards. But, my Incredible boots to the home screen. No activation or anything. Is this because I am rooted?

I know I will get the question from the buyer, so I'll ask here since I don't know the answer...how do they activate the phone if it doesn't give the activation screen?

They would just dial *228 and use option 1 to activate.

If you do a reset from clockwork recovery (not the menu option in the phone) it should give you the activation screen.

Upvote 0
If you do a reset from clockwork recovery (not the menu option in the phone) it should give you the activation screen.

When you say "reset from clockwork recovery", what exactly do you mean?

I have gone into bootloader and selected Factory Reset. Clockwork gives me "invalid command" error. So I chose Data Wipe / Factory Reset. It goes through, I reboot. It comes up with the Language select and goes through all the prompts, but not activate.

I just want to make sure when I sell this phone and tell the person to do *228 that they can still activate it.

Upvote 0
When you say "reset from clockwork recovery", what exactly do you mean?

I have gone into bootloader and selected Factory Reset. Clockwork gives me "invalid command" error. So I chose Data Wipe / Factory Reset. It goes through, I reboot. It comes up with the Language select and goes through all the prompts, but not activate.

I just want to make sure when I sell this phone and tell the person to do *228 that they can still activate it.

Oh okay you are doing what I was referring to then.
The *228 will always work, it even works on phones that are aleeady activated and want to swap numbers with.

Reactions: VolsMcFalls
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones