• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. My frustration with with this phone is the fact that it dies. This happens randomly. Phone with good charge , but left idle. When come back to it it is dead. Black screen no lights. Have to remove battery & replace to get phone to power up. Sometimes this happens while phone is charging. What the heck?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. My frustration with with this phone is the fact that it dies. This happens randomly. Phone with good charge , but left idle. When come back to it it is dead. Black screen no lights. Have to remove battery & replace to get phone to power up. Sometimes this happens while phone is charging. What the heck?

Could the battery be faulty?
Check whether you can see any bulging on the battery. Put it on a flat surface and try to spin it. Perfectly flat battery shouldn't spin.

There is a batch of phones that suffer the problem.

Upvote 0
This is a known problem if it occurs only when the phone is connected to the charger. My first S4 started doing this after the big system update push and only if I left it charging over night. Then it got more touchy - like after only an hour of charging - but always only if the phone was fully charged. My replacement S4 has been fine BUT I take care not to leave it on the charger any longer than necessary, and NEVER over night.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones