1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

dead phoneGeneral

1. bonnadelle66

bonnadelle66 New Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. My frustration with with this phone is the fact that it dies. This happens randomly. Phone with good charge , but left idle. When come back to it it is dead. Black screen no lights. Have to remove battery & replace to get phone to power up. Sometimes this happens while phone is charging. What the heck?

Advertisement
  2. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

Could the battery be faulty?
    Check whether you can see any bulging on the battery. Put it on a flat surface and try to spin it. Perfectly flat battery shouldn't spin.

There is a batch of phones that suffer the problem.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a hardware fault to me. SebaKL may well be right as there have been a lot of reported faulty batteries but even if it's not the battery, it definitely sounds like hardware so you should take the phone back to whoever you bought it from.
  4. allanlaw

allanlaw Well-Known Member

This is a known problem if it occurs only when the phone is connected to the charger. My first S4 started doing this after the big system update push and only if I left it charging over night. Then it got more touchy - like after only an hour of charging - but always only if the phone was fully charged. My replacement S4 has been fine BUT I take care not to leave it on the charger any longer than necessary, and NEVER over night.

Good luck.
  5. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

This would be an absolute deal breaker for me if I had to do the same.

I always leave my phone charging overnight as I have done with every smartphone I have ever used. If I didn't I would wake up to a flat battery.

Fortunately, doing so has never caused me a problem at all.
  6. bonnadelle66

bonnadelle66 New Member

Thanks for your response. Verizon has had me jumping thru hoops. Now that I know it is a known issue, I will be more aggressive in getting this resolved.