1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Dead pixels?

1. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

Is anyone else experiencing dead pixels on their new GS3? My black screens show many dead pixels, or big black spots, and it's quite annoying. Am I the only one?

Advertisement
  2. Chicago281

Chicago281 Well-Known Member

Screen here is beautiful and almost perfect. USA T-Mobile S3
  3. cys920622

cys920622 Well-Known Member

You mean like those black "ink spots" you see when you're in complete darkness with a completely black screen? I have a few of those too but they don't seem to pose any issue when viewing other colors. Also, no dead pixels here on other color tests.
  4. Nothing's wrong with your S3. That's AMOLED + Pentile = black ink-like spots.
  5. androidtp

I see. So no need to return this phone for another thinking I'll receive one without the spots?
  6. weepaulz

weepaulz New Member

My husband's S3 has a blue pixel when the screen is black that flashes.

Mines is fine.
  7. androidtp

And, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It only shows on the black screens. You're completely fine with those blotches? Maybe, I just thought this phone would be near perfect considering the technological advancement we've achieved. Didn't have this with the Epic 4G :D
  8. Yep. Both my S3 and Note have those black spots. Not really an issue.
  9. androidtp

The fact that you're fine with this makes me wonder why I'm not. Guess I will have to adapt! Thank you for the reassurance.
  10. darkestred

darkestred Well-Known Member

It's possible its not on all black. I have a viera plasma and i was watching it the other day. A purple background came on and i saw all these blotches. I was startled because my LCD that it replaced had this issue. When the next white screen came on, it wasn't there. I rewinded and there it was on the purple.
  11. androidtp

I downloaded a dead pixels app and it ran all the colors. I only noticed this on the black screen. Last night I was recording the fireworks and noticed those ink blotches all over my screen. It made me ughhhhh, but I guess it just takes some getting use to.
  12. I have 3 friends and 2 office mates all have S3s and believe me, I unabashedly showed my OCD and checked their phones under dark room and YES all their phones have the dark spots.
  13. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

like this one?
    its not dead pixel, its dark spot on amoled.
    they spray substances on TFT and they cant spray evenly perfectly, some get thicker and that causes that.
  14. mikegrp

mikegrp New Member

Help.... I dropped my new GS3 today from about 3.5 feet onto a retail store floor. The phone hit the back and landed flat. The phone has a Body Glove anti shock case on it. When I picked it up I said under my breath " thank goodness for cases".... then I turned it on....Grrrr. It has a thin 1 pixel wide green line from top to bottom in the middle of the screen. I ran a pixel repair app with no luck..... any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks,

MikeGRP
  15. Shawn0413

Shawn0413 Well-Known Member

Wow..that's pretty bad I would definently exchange for a new one
  16. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Well-Known Member

Sounds like the conductive circuit for that column of pixels has gone bad somehow. You'll have to replace the display, or the phone. Dell notebooks are known to get this problem as well. I had to replace the display on mine. I don't know of any way to fix such a problem. It has to do with either a shorted or open connection (in your case, from being dropped) for that column of pixels.