Dead SD card

Last Updated:

1. BLUFALCON78

BLUFALCON78 Member This Topic's Starter

I remember someone saying they had a problem with SD cards failing on their Hero and I think I know what's going on. Today I had the SD card failed issue and it was my second one since getting the phone on Dec 26th. I think I narrowed down the cause.

Both times, this happend right after running on the treadmill with my Hero in my shorts pocket. The first time, I formatted as suggested, losing all of my pictures, mp3's, etc on the phone (luckily I always backup). This second time, I was going to put the card in my computer to see if it was indeed broken. The computer read everything fine so I stuck it back in and it worked. I think what it happening, it something is making the card move around in the phone (in my case running) and causing it to not be able to be read properly.

I only suggest pulling the card out and reinserting it before rushing out and getting a new card. Hope this helps a bit.

Advertisement
  2. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Mine has already killed an 8GB Sandisk. Curiously, it was after I cleared customs and they passed it through the xray. Not sure if that's a coincidence but it was working fine as I was listening to music on my flight, and then stopped working when I tried to use it again after passing through security.
    Formatting did not save it. I can't even read it on a computer.

3. BLUFALCON78

BLUFALCON78 Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know much about the effect of X-rays on memory cards. I have heard, however, that it still takes quite a bit of electro-magnetic energy to effectively wipe information from an SD card. When I went to a "network security" course, the instructor demonstrated a large magnet passing over and around a thumb drive and it didn't even phase it.

Like I said, I removed mine and re-inserted it and it worked AS I put it back in. The status bar at the top told me I had a corrupt SD card. I then took it out to put in my computer then when it was fine there, I put it back in and it read it as soon as it clicked in place.

4. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm skeptical that it was the xray. I insert/remove the card very frequently as I have several for various types of music.