Death by ocean. Droid does.General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Angels Punishment

Angels Punishment Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I went to the beach Thursday. I had my Incredible in my back pocket since that's the only one my swim shorts had. My girlfriend and I went into the water just knee deep for a while so all was good. Then she wanted me to go out a little further which I did, but only enough so the waves would hit me above the thighs. I completely forgot I had my Incredible in my pocket until I saw someone with their cellphone taking pictures. Naturally I was like OH SH** and went out of the water asap to check on my phone. Phone is off. I try to turn it on, no response. At this point I'm freaking out and take it apart to let it dry out a bit. Today it's still not working but I just put it in a box of rice a few hours ago. Just tried it like half an hour ago and still nothing. I filed a claim with the insurance Verizon offers since I have it but of course the phone is backordered and my file won't be completed until it's no longer backordered. Now I'm without a phone and my girlfriend is leaving for a few months to California so our contact will be severely limited. Sucks. End rant.

Advertisement
  2. smile44

smile44 Well-Known Member

I think it's supposed to be in the box of rice for several hours, not just a couple. Can't hurt to try it a little longer. Beyond that though, that sucks. I'm sorry :(

3. Angels Punishment

Yeah I plan on leaving it in there for like two days until I give up. I keep reaching in my pocket to use it and nothing is there. I had stayed up till 4am rooting and customizing my phone before we left for the beach at 5:30am.

I'm not really happy that I'll get a lcd screen instead of the AMOLED one.

4. drPheta

drPheta Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, but slim chances since you tried to turn it on. That usually shorts something. Good luck, and i hope it dries out.

5. acidarmitage

acidarmitage Well-Known Member

water bridges connections and sends power where its not supposed to go, you're supposed to immediately pull the battery so no power goes anywhere in the phone and then put it in rice so that the water is removed from the phone with dessication (rice loves water)...

your phone turned itself off which means the water already bridged the connections and shorted your phone, you were SOL a long time ago im afraid

6. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member

Water is bad, salt water is worse. even if off it probably would have killed it. if the battery were out there may have been a tiny bit of hope but the salt would eventually corrode something in there. When I am around the water I stick my phone in a zip-lock. screen works just fine through it. there are bags made just for this that float also. nice if on a boat where it could go overboard.

7. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Salt is not good for your phone. It is destroyed, plain and simple. Sorry.

8. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear it man but lcd's are not that bad but i hope you still get and amoled

9. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Why do people try to turn on a phone after it gets wet? If it is off, it shorted out already (or shut down out of a protection feature). It doesn't have a magic water sensor on the outside, water got into it!

Immediately after a phone gets wet take out the battery and do the rice method. Even better, find some dessicant if it's available to you. At least 12 hours in a bag then you can put the battery back in and try it.

Attempting to turn it on right after it gets wet is an easy way to short circuit some fragile IC chips.

10. Angels Punishment

Yeah I'm sure it is. I'm just doing it to have a little hope left. I have my claim going though.

I couldn't do the rice method right away because I was at the beach.

11. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

I would guess that if you get salt water, you would want to get out the salt.

I know it sounds dumb, but soaking in fresh water would try to get rid of the salt. it's a very slim chance, but possible.

This comes from experience. I am in the Coast Guard and one of my guys dropped a fluke meter into the water. We had another guy free dive (we were at the pier) and retrieve it. As a joke someone suggested we try to get it to work again so we soaked it in fresh water and allowed it to dry in the air (OBX). It did start again, but never functioned the way it was supposed to, but it did power up.

12. Angels Punishment

I guess I'm going to just wait for my new one. My old phone had a nasty habit of moving the cursor over to the left one space so when I was texting my words would get all combined and messed up.

Does this mean my extended battery is cooked too? It had some blueish greenish gunk on one of the contacts.

13. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Well-Known Member

Sorry OP! If you have insurance via Asurian, they fill their backorder's pretty quick. They even call you everyday to update you on the status.....

My your DINc rest in peace...... I'm on my 3rd........

14. drPheta

Bluish green gunk on battery = acid and/or corrosion. Battery may be toast as well.

15. Angels Punishment

Would that be covered as well or am I SOL on that too?

16. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

If you have Asurian, cant you just say it was stolen? and claim anyways?

I thought they covered that too

Source: http://support.vzw.com/clc/features/calling_features/equipment_protection.html

17. drPheta

I'm not sure about the battery. I hope so, cause $45 is a big chunk of change.

18. uber_mike

uber_mike Well-Known Member

Go to a drug store and buy a container of the highest concentration of isopropyl alcohol they have. Hopefully you can find 99%, but 92% will work. Take everything apart and rinse it all (sans battery) with the alcohol for a bit. THEN put it in rice (taken apart still) for 24-48 hours.

The alcohol removes water while it evaporates and can possibly wash some salt away. The rice should help remove any other moisture, but it needs to stay in the rice for a while. I resurrected a camera from its watery grave once, but it had to soak in rice for nearly a week.

I guess then re-assemble it and try it again.

19. gmaellex01

gmaellex01 Well-Known Member

I think turning it on right away was a mistake. I would have just taken out the battery and let it sit, maybe run a hairdryer on it for a while (lightly, don't wanna melt it...). That's the only way you're going to get it to work again; turning on wet electronics is not beneficial.

Does Verizon insurance cover water damage? I've gotten many (~8) new phones through insurance, all by water damage (I used to go swimming a lot). Every time it happened I would take it in and they would tell me they didn't cover water damage and I would just be like "I have no idea what you're talking about... it didn't get wet", heh.

I've actually only been able to save only one fully submerged phone. It was a Motorola Startac, and I took out the battery and dried it in the Phoenix heat (112F) for the rest of the day before attempting a restart.

20. Angels Punishment

Ah so how would I let them know about the battery since I already filed my claim?

Will I get a new phone or some POS reconditioned one? I really hope a new one. I'm anal about other people using my stuff before me.

21. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

sorry for your woes :( I hope it all works out for you.

22. homieg

homieg Active Member

I did the exact same thing man. Had the phone in my pocket and totally forgot I had my phone when I went in the ocean. Luckily for me ausurion sent me a brand new phone the next day. Hope everything works out for you.

23. BlueSnake01

BlueSnake01 Well-Known Member

Wow sorry to hear that! I know how it feels, I went to a fishing trip in Mammoth in June. Fell in to the freezing, phone in my pocket. I was soaked and my phone was wet, I thought it was a goner for sure. To my surprised it turned on!! Speakers were not the damage or anything. Still running strong! Now im extra careful with it. My friends were saying that it really was the incredible! Too bad yours didn't make it. Wouldve been a great story to tell about how incredible the phone is.

24. Angels Punishment

So should I say it was stolen when they call or whatever?

I'll try this tomorrow hopefully.

Yeah I let it dry out in the sun for a while but apparently it didn't help.

Thanks.

Lucky they got it out so fast. Doesn't look like I'm going to have such luck.

Yeah it would have been a nice story. Lucky you though. lol

25. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what to do i'm just saying it says on thier own site that the insurance can cover lots of different things.

liquid damage, stolen, lost etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.