Death grip?Support

1. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

Hey there everyone. Not sure if this happens with anyone else's nexus 4 I have Google it but still, every time I pick up the nexus 4 especially with my left hand side I'll loose 2 bars right away similar to the iPhone 4.

This can't be normal? Is this something wrong with the phone or software related? Just wanted some insight into what a going on

Advertisement
    :
  2. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

Bars disappearing doesn't necessarily mean that you're losing coverage. Often when the phone idles, the signal doesn't change until it makes a data request. I wouldn't worry about that if you aren't dropping calls or losing data.
  3. OhSeven

OhSeven Well-Known Member Contributor

I thought I noticed this as well, and I was about to start a thread but in that moment it wasn't happening. For me, it seemed to make the difference between zero and 1-2 bars. I switched carriers before I checked enough to be confident about it, the reception varied quite a bit moment to moment without even touching it so it was hard to say
  4. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

ya its really weird, since im Canadian if i actually use the LTE on the phone which i have a faint signal of already. I don't loose a single bar at all no matter how i hold it, If anything maybe 1 bar.

It only happens when i have H signal and occurs when i hold phone the at the bottom which is how i normally hold the phone.

I don't have any lose of data when it gets to 0 bars if im in an area with 2 bars of signal, since it'll loose 2 bars if i hold the phone, as for phone calls haven't tried that yet, but the data still works albeit slower.

none of my previous phones did this not even the iPhone 5 which is where i came from. But long as i don't loose data i should be ok right? guess its normal for this phone to do that?
  5. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Bars don't mean anything to anyone. Why not try taking a signal reading when holding the phone and when not?

Mine does drop from -89dBm 14asu when on the desk to -91dBm 9asu when in hand but practically I have never seen a problem.

Try it in Settings>About Phone>Status.
  6. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

There have been moments where I've thought this, but then if I try putting the phone down again, the bars do not re-appear which would suggest it's imaginary.

Overall, I've found reception to be about the same as with my last phone (original Desire): not outstanding, but not bad either.
  7. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

I have done that as well and it's about the same as u it goes from about 80 or so up to around 95-100 phone still works and everything it's weird how that happens not sure how much ASU but ya the dBm does change