debate: car charging vs usb charging vs wall outlet

Last Updated:

1. speele

speele Member This Topic's Starter

we're having a debate here at work.

the argument is whether using the usb port on a computer (a slower charge) is similar to a "trickle charge" which, at least from what I've heard, will make the battery life noticeably better.

from personal experience, when i charge my phone in my car, it takes no time to charge, but the battery doesn't seem to last long at all.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. blksith0

blksith0 Well-Known Member

I've heard that trickle charging is actually worse for your phone

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Its true that USB charging charges at a lower amperage, but that by no means will make the battery better. The phone just sees current, no matter what you are charging from. It could come from a potato, and the phone wouldnt think any different.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

^ This. Trickle charging isn't applicable to Li ion, IIRC.

Sounds like your battery meter isn't accurate (so your battery isn't really full charged even when it says it is) or this isn't a causal relationship.

5. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

I have charged from the car, wall outlet, and USB 2.0 on my desktop. All charge speeds seem to be the same and the battery seems to last equally long. Not sure what devices you use, but I have basically done this on all the iPhone models and now the HTC EVO and got the same results (they weren;t noticably different anyway).

6. Seddy

Seddy Well-Known Member

The cigarette lighter in the truck doesn't work (cant seem to find the fuse to replace it) but when i'm traveling I always use my laptop to charge my phone... Now that I think about it, I always use my laptop to charge my phone... I dont even know where my little outlet adapter is. LOL. But yeah, my battery is lasting just fine. 13+ hours of juice is exceptional for an Android. :D