• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Debating getting the phone exchanged

mplevy

Android Expert
Nov 13, 2009
New York, USA
Part of the lower casing appears to be bulging near a seam on the edge. I can live with it I think, as long as it doesn't get worse.

My concern with the exchange is that the one I have WORKS just fine, no random restarts, normally minimal lag though the touch keyboard seems a little sluggish at times even as I type this message.

It may be ok for now , but what about in a few weeks? It may get worse , Imagine You try to go for an exchange and the person says "sorry , This looks like accidental user damage so no Exchange". Then your stuck with a dodgy handset...... {Unless you may have Insurance or something}

I would personally exchange it as soon as possible :)

Upvote 0
2 questions.

I'm still within 30 days, I should get a brand new device and not a refurbished one, right?

Also, I have it set to back up my settings, that means that once I log in to my account it will download my apps and settings, right?

Has had any issues with the new phones being handed out in these cases? I plan on asking to see the phone first to make sure the slider is tight.

Upvote 0
2 questions.

I'm still within 30 days, I should get a brand new device and not a refurbished one, right?

Also, I have it set to back up my settings, that means that once I log in to my account it will download my apps and settings, right?

Has had any issues with the new phones being handed out in these cases? I plan on asking to see the phone first to make sure the slider is tight.

Upvote 0
In case you're curious, here's the "problem area". The bulge is actually pretty stiff, I can't push it in at all.

Click the image to see full size.

I had something like that on my Touch Pro2. It got worse as I used it more and that's when I returned it 50 days later for the Droid. I would return it and you should be able to get a new one as long as you did not do the rebate thing (cut the barcode from the box).

Upvote 0
Did u read my last post? I took it in and they were able to re-seat the case. Other than the gap being slightly larger in that spot it looks fine.

Odd, the first question I was asked was if I use a clip-on case.

I would still replace it. A new device should not have this issue that can actually allow liquids to enter more easily. Plus theres no guarantee this wont get worse with time. If you wait you will end up with a refurbish device or return it for a new one now if your with in your 30 days. Well at the end is your decision.

Upvote 0
Actually, isn't it ultimately up to Verizon who is acting on behalf of Motorola? The warranty DOES say "repair or replace", and they DID repair it.

At this point it seems you made up your mine. All poster have given their opinions to get it replace but you keep fighting it. Last time I check by your picture they did not fix 100 % thus still defective. Is up to you if you can live with it.

Upvote 0
Good to see you got it sorted
xmassmile.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones