• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Debating on rooting and need tips

robertjw4688

Aug 9, 2013
I'm new to this whole rooting thing and don't know if I should do it or not. My phone has been really sluggish and glitchy lately so I'm thinking of giving it a try. I know how to root and flash recovery (though I'm not entirely sure what the latter is.) but I don't know what to do afterwards. Any tips? Reminder that I'm trying to speed up my sluggish phone and make it less glitchy. Also, wouldn't mind being able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot.

Thanks in advance!

well, afterwards you do whatever the hell you want or need to do, rooting just gives you administrative access and custom recovery well that gives you a recovery that actually recovers stuff unlike the stock one. past that its all up to you and your wants and needs, you want to do some sort of wifi tether program, might need root, want to customize the rom, will need root, dont need to do any of that stuff, dont need root, but having it wont hurt unless you do something silly and give the wrong program superuser privlidges

basically, after you root and install a custom recovery, make a backup, what you do from there is up to you, my only advice is, if you dont know what youre doing, you probably shouldnt be doing it. not saying be afraid to experiment within certain limits but know that you have a good backup and that the recovery/bootloader partitions wont get damaged in the process, anything you do to system or boot wont matter really as long as it doesnt spill over into the stuff that loads recovery or destroy your backup

as far as speeding up the phone, factory reset would do that, you have a bunch of apps in the background yea its gonne get slow and you dont need root for that, just uninstall them, but theres also things like boost zone, that annoying ass crap that is of little use to anyone, you can get rid of that and a number of other programs built into the phone to free up some memory but most of it is probably due to things youve installed and the only way youre gonna fix that is uninstalling some of the programs youve put on there since you got it and maybe resetting some things

now, that being said, if you can deal with a bit of glitching, the loss of bluetooth a2dp, the loss of wifi but the gain of wired usb tether, and a few other small things, i recommend the cyanogenmod port 1mouse3 and i put out, alot faster than stock but it has its issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones