• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Debating switching to the now network

I'm sure you guys get plenty of "should I switch" threads but I'm hoping you could give me an unbiased suggestion for my unique situation. I also know none of you know the future of this network either. OK, I am currently a Verizon customer for the past 6 years or so. I am locked into unlimited data and have been up for renewal for about a year now. Still have the original Motorola Droid and she's getting pretty bad. I currently pay ~$90/month for unlimited data and the lowest number of minutes I use. I really like sprints philosophy about keeping unlimited data. I hear that they are going to be deploying a LTE network and it is supposed to be rolled out rather quickly. I like how that sounds. But my main concern is that they are going to upgrade the current coverage area to 4g but not actually expand the size of the network and what is covered. Verizon's network is huge and I always have coverage. I am locked into unlimited data so I would hate to risk going over to sprint and end up hating it and coming back to Verizon without unlimited. What are some of your opinions?

Simple, hook up with Sprint without cancelling your Verizon contract, and then you can test the Now network and if you see you don't like it then claim buyers remorse before the 14 days period, and you did not loose your Verizon unlimited data. Nothing worse than listing to us and then you transfer and then you get pissed because you weren't happy, this way the only person you have to blame is yourself. IMO I have absolutely no issues with Sprint and the price is right. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Have been seeing a few similar inquiries lately. Read thru the other threads too.

IMHO, I would recommend waiting until the LTE roll-out details are available. Sprint is in a murky phase. 3G speeds are bad, 4G is extremely spotty, 4G speeds are nowhere close to VZW LTE, and there are claims of LTE coming to Sprint. Sprint is offering a fire-sale on some 4G phones and claims to support them for at least the next two years.

As for the price, there was an increase of $10 (to $79.99) when WiMax-4G phones were sold. It is possible that another $10+ increase will come with LTE phones.

If you have earned the "unlimited data" thru loyalty, then moving now has a potential to be disappointing.

Reactions: vicshalls
Upvote 0
Right now there is no way I would recommend switching to sprint. To many unknowns to give you any advice.

A year ago I would have said sprint was a great place to be. Now I myself am considering leaving sprint after many years. The network in a lot of places has degraded to the point of being unusable. Here I literaly can not reach speeds over about 150kbps until around 3am when I can get lucky and hit maybe the 500kbps mark.

You can not even stream radio, and forget about doing anything fancy like looking at a youtube video.

Granted it isn't bad everywhere, and it may be fine where you live. But know that there are tons of places this bad or worse.

Also sprints trial period is only 14 days now I think. And thats weekends included. So if you do give them a try make sure you keep good track of your days and test them everywhere you plan on using your phone alot.

Also remember that Sprint is just getting started on its LTE buildout and it may be awhile before it comes to your area also. And then also factor in that Sprints LTE network will be running at 1900 band. So will also have less building penetration than Verizons LTE network also.

Right now, Sprint is in just too much of a flux. If I was grandfathered at Verizon, there is no way personally I would consider switching.

Upvote 0
supremekizzle;[URL="tel:3929282" said:
3929282[/URL]]I'm sure you guys get plenty of "should I switch" threads but I'm hoping you could give me an unbiased suggestion for my unique situation. I also know none of you know the future of this network either. OK, I am currently a Verizon customer for the past 6 years or so. I am locked into unlimited data and have been up for renewal for about a year now. Still have the original Motorola Droid and she's getting pretty bad. I currently pay ~$90/month for unlimited data and the lowest number of minutes I use. I really like sprints philosophy about keeping unlimited data. I hear that they are going to be deploying a LTE network and it is supposed to be rolled out rather quickly. I like how that sounds. But my main concern is that they are going to upgrade the current coverage area to 4g but not actually expand the size of the network and what is covered. Verizon's network is huge and I always have coverage. I am locked into unlimited data so I would hate to risk going over to sprint and end up hating it and coming back to Verizon without unlimited. What are some of your opinions?

If you have unlimited data & 4G LTE coverage w/VERIZON in your area,I do not see the point of making the switch.

What you're paying now is approximately what you'd be paying for a similar package w/SPRINT,but on WIMAX @ best for now-LTE,who knows when.
Not to knock SPRINT,but,in your particular situation,I don't see an upside to switching to SPRINT,or,any of the other carriers.
Only possibility I'd make a switch to,if the 4G LTE is good in your area,if available at all,would be METRO PCS w/their $60/mo. plan.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think Im just going to say screw the networks and go prepaid. Seems way better

If you can get unthrottled/unlimited 4G data w/METRO PCS,or,any prepaid service & save a decent amount on your monthly bill,then I'd agree w/you.

But,if it's the contract part that you don't care for,I can state,coming from being a long time CRICKET customer,the contract vs. no contract debate is a non-issue.Either way,you're gonna pay someone for service every month, w/or w/o a contract.

I'd sleep on it before abandoning VERIZON & being grandfathered in on unlimited data.

Upvote 0
If you can get unthrottled/unlimited 4G data w/METRO PCS,or,any prepaid service & save a decent amount on your monthly bill,then I'd agree w/you.

But,if it's the contract part that you don't care for,I can state,coming from being a long time CRICKET customer,the contract vs. no contract debate is a non-issue.Either way,you're gonna pay someone for service every month, w/or w/o a contract.

I'd sleep on it before abandoning VERIZON & being grandfathered in on unlimited data.

This. X a gorillion.

Upvote 0
From the internet rumors I have read that sprint is going to bring their lte to their pre paid carriers once it is established. I like the idea of freedom and dirt cheap prices. There's usually wifi so I guess unlimited data isn't as big of an issue that I originally made it out to be.

I appreciate the sentiment of freedom & value.However,that axe falls both ways.

A prepaid carrier is under no obligation to offer the same package from month-to-month.

They could pull an "unlimited"plan right out from under you,as soon as your prepaid month is up.

To clarify,I'm not suggesting that they'd single you out,per se,but,the whole plan in general,to all of their customers.

Again,I'd think twice before dumping unlimited VERIZON for a prepaid.

You may not need all that data at the moment,but,by chance you should have to move,relocate,etc...... at least you know you're more than likely to have coverage w/VERIZON.

Upvote 0
From the internet rumors I have read that sprint is going to bring their lte to their pre paid carriers once it is established. I like the idea of freedom and dirt cheap prices. There's usually wifi so I guess unlimited data isn't as big of an issue that I originally made it out to be.

Just like sprint would have the largest 4g network, because they were the first.... Right. Believe me, keep your unlimited VZW data....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones