Debating updating to 4.2

1. Modman

Modman Well-Known Member

I hear the latest version of stickmount fixes direct HD access with otg cable in 4.2?
    Is 4.2 slower?
    Can 4.2 be rerooted with wugs?
    does wugs still reinstall twrp to 4.2?
    Surpressing the update I'm working fine right now.
    Other than multiuser support what benefit does this update bring?
    What are my chances of softbricking?
    How easy is it to unbrick?
    Is this update worth the trouble?
    If I go away this weekend I might consider updating next weekend.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

No, 4.2 isnt "slower". Some have issues from the OTA, but thats not really due to 4.2 itself.

Yes, wugs toolkil will root 4.2... I used it myself
    Yes, TWRP is still used

Multi-user, quick settings, new security enhancements, notification differences... theres plenty of websites that have done articles on whats new in 4.2 if you're interested

Chances of softbricking.. pretty much 0. Theres risk in everything you do, but this is pretty minimal
    Unbricking.... just flash the 4.2 factory image. In fact I'd suggest doing that to install 4.2 anyway
    CYNICALifornia likes this.
  3. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

1. Yesterday's update of Stickmount now supports 4.2 properly. I've used it with microsd adapter, thumbdrive, and sdcard in adapter for read/write access.

edit: I had to use Astro for the read/write. I could not get Root Explorer to access the storage.
  4. adanmex

adanmex Well-Known Member

how do i update to 4.2 when im unloxk and rooted.
  5. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

I was unlocked, stock, rooted, cwm recovery, Voodoo Root Keeper. I downloaded the OTA from Android Police, copied it from pc to N7, booted into cwm recovery from Rom Manager and installed the zip in recovery. After the install, I said 'Yes' to prevent flashing stock recovery (thus keeping cwm) and 'Yes' to trying to retain root. I did a cache wipe and dalvik wipe before booting up and after booting, still had root and cwm recovery.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I installed the 4.2 factory image to negate any issues with caused by the ota. Then just rerooted 4.2
  7. Modman

Modman Well-Known Member

Never Really tried that will it let me copy my titanium backup folder to external fat 32 drive with Astro?