debrand Orange HTC Hero

Last Updated:

1. lperry65

lperry65 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I have a HTC Hero from orange. It has Android 2.1 which was a recent update from orange. I have already had orange unlock the phone and I'm not interested in rooting it, but I would like to debrand it and get the stock HTC 2.1 rom installed instead of the one from Orange. I've looked around the web and found lots of old info on this but most of it is concerned with unlocking and rooting, is there a more recent tutorial on how to debrand an orange Hero. Also I use mac and ubuntu so windows tutorials will not be much help.

Advertisement
  2. poultrum

poultrum Well-Known Member

de branding your phone and installing a stock rom involves rooting your phone, so not possible unless you root your phone i`m afraid , out of interest why don`t you want to root your phone?

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You don't have to root, you just have to make a goldcard. (Which stops the firmware installer from checking your current firmware version).

Unfortunately, all of HTC's official firmwares come as .exe files. You'll need to borrow a windows PC to install it.

It should also be noted that a large number of people who installed the unbranded 2.1 found their phone wasn't compatible with the new radio. So you may be wasting your time.

Rooting doesn't require windows or have radio incompatibility issues, for what it's worth.