• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Debranding" a Desire

Sptz

Jun 17, 2011
Hi guys,

I apologize in advance as I am quite sure this is the typical "noob" question that most of you might be a bit fed up with.

I've bought a Desire second hand, it's locked to Orange, so, I'm going to unlock it to be able to use my own SIM, but I also want to re-install the OS with just the OS with no Orange apps crap and whatever more garbage they throw in there, is that possible to do?

I'm quite new to the droid world, I was an iphone (3G) user, wont go back to apple again :)

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Welcome!
Yes it is possible. You need 2 things.

1) a gold card
2) an RUU.

RUU is a rom upgrade utility. This is an .exe that runs from your PC and reinstalls the OS. However, unbranded RUU's only work on unbranded devices. The RUU checks the devices Carrier ID and if it doesnt match, it wont install.

The goldcard is a specially modified SD card used to spoof the Carrier ID (CID) so an unbranded RUU can be used on a branded device.

I can link you to some steps to create a goldcard, but before I do, be aware that this will void your warranty so Orange and HTC will not accept it for warraanty repairs, even if the fault is hardware.

It is usaully possible to put the correct RUU on the phone to send back, but for orange, this is NOT available.

Reactions: Sptz
Upvote 0
Hey,

Meanwhile I found a tutorial and sucessfully formatted the SD card onto a Gold Card (I don't care about the warranty).

But I can't find a suitable RUU. I downloaded one from a tutorial and it was a 1.5x something version, my phone is running 2.2, I tried to update the ROM anyway so I could update to 2.2 afterwards with no luck, it just says it can't update the ROM. Is the "downgrading" being the problem here?

Edit: On the RUU it says:

From Image Version: 2.17.61.3

To Image Version: 1.15.405.3

Can anyone help me please? I just want to install the unbranded OS, I thought the Goldcard thing would enable that

Upvote 0
Ah have a look at the rooting FAQ, linked in my signature.

But in a nutshell,

custom undervolted kernels (Same CPU frequency, lower voltage = better battery)
Backup applications and better restore features
Every new rom makes you feel like you have a new phone (longer shelf life than unrooted)
Overclocking. Underclocking
Low memory fixes

Loads.

Usta mde a good list which features in the FAQ too :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I need some help here!

I rooted sucessfully, went to clockworkmod recovery to do a full backup, so I did and then pressed reboot, and now it doesn't boot up, the HTC logo shows up (No "quietly brilliant") shuts down and turns on again showing up HTC constantly... not going anywhere...

I just did the backup and the reboot so I could put the ROM zip on the SD card then boot into recovery to wipe and then flash... What should I do?!?!

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I solved this.

Luckily I had one of those small SD card usb readers laying around, so I put the SD card in that, copied the custom ROM, booted up the desire, wiped everything and flashed the ROM, working perfectly now :)

Don't know why it wasnt booting just by doing the NAND backup before though

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones