Debranding my Orange desire?

Last Updated:

1. slugger09

slugger09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok this is going to be my little project for today, but before I start I don't want to balls it up IE lock the phone or loss wi-fi so whats the best way to do it? Also it is possible to put just plain Android on say Froyo rather than the HTC sense?

Advertisement
  2. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member

3. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

I am getting my HTC Desire in a month from Orange and am doing research prior to it regarding debranding. I have read in a lot of places about the process of debranding; however I have not found a clear post on the implications it has on OTA updates, even prior to the release of FroYo.

I have read in some places that accepting OTA updates from 1.15.405 to 1.21.405 results in some problems, particularly regarding Wi-Fi. I also got the impression that by simply leaving the GoldCard inside the phone while receiving the OTA update, you would avoid these problems. Another alternative would be to flash the 1.21.405 version directly instead of flashing the 1.15.405 then upgrading.

Is my understanding correct? Have I missed anything? What implications would these methods have on upgrading to FroYo when it is eventually released for the Desire?

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

If you get your desire on orange from the carphone warehouse then you will get an unbranded & unlocked one from scratch.
    If you have an orange branded phone the best thing to do is get it unlocked, or everytime you do any debranding or rooting you may end up in a position where you get simlocked forcing you to get unlocked.

bigapple2 likes this.
  5. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

The orange branding on mine doesn't bother me. To be honest, there's nothing I come across that would reveal it's even orange branded besides the orange logo on the back (covered up by a silicone case) and one or two applications in the app list.

6. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

Can anyone else confirm this? This would be the best news I've read in a while.

Thanks.

7. Mubble

Mubble Well-Known Member

It's true. But that's because you get the 'standard' bronze version, not the black version.

8. anoniemouse

Personally i wish i had done my upgrade through CPW saved me having to debrand & unlock my handset.

9. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

Alright, excellent. I can live without a black Desire if it means no hassle regarding unlocking and debranding. Thanks guys for the help.

10. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

mobiles.co.uk are run by the CPW and also sell the Desire unbranded on Orange.

11. anoniemouse

I knew i had heard of another one, just couldn't remember it.

12. bigapple2

bigapple2 Member

My contract with Orange expires in September, which is when I'm planning to get my Desire. I would like to keep my old number. I have also only lived in the UK for 2 years and I am not sure if this is enough for a standard credit check.

Do you guys think ordering online through mobiles.co.uk is sufficient or should I make the effort to reach a store and buy a plan there?

13. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Orange should be able to transfer your old number to a new sim card for you. mobiles.co.uk performs a credit check, as do all online retailers. I'm not sure about brick and mortar shops but I imagine they do as well.

14. anoniemouse

I think you will find because you are already with orange the credit check is a formality.
    You will still keep your same number as i did when i upgraded through dial a phone.