Debranding - the low down?

Last Updated:

1. CluckMONSTER

CluckMONSTER New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

1st Android post please be patient :)

Have a Desire coming soon and would like to debrand it - some quick questions. Basically i want to debrand from operator firmware to the HTC firmware and continue to update as they come out so any links just to achieve this would be helpful and useful!!

also

What is Rooting?

Have read a few posts in the rooting section and am slightly confused

as i said i would like to just debrand not do any fiddling with the firmware underneath

Thanks

appreciate any help or clarification

Advertisement
  2. chris100575

chris100575 Well-Known Member

Hi.

This will tell you how to de-brand your phone: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/67098-how-flash-debrand-your-desire.html I've not tried it myself as I bought an unbranded one.

Root is the superuser on Unix systems, Rooting your phone basically gives you access to this and allows you to do a few extra things with it. General consensus seems to be that the only reason to do this with the Desire is if you desperately want to install apps to the SD card instead of the phone's memory. Rooting will invalidate your warranty, and installing apps to SD is coming in the next update, so IMO it's not worth it.

3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

you will need to root the device (as described above) using a 'goldcard' to debrand it though.

4. CluckMONSTER

CluckMONSTER New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for your help everyone

chris100575 i had read this thread - was a little confused by the jargon having come from symbian where as you can imagine the jargons different!

with the replies from the other guys i pretty confident i know what to do.

which is to just debrand and take the generic updates

Thanks again

5. chris100575

chris100575 Well-Known Member

Ah, my mistake I must have missed the bit where it said you needed to root your phone before you could debrand. Glad you know what you're doing with it now though!