decessionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. vicshalls

vicshalls Well-Known Member

This may be a little long to i appologize up front. I am in the market for a new computer and it dawned on me that i might not need one. All i really do is update my resume and use it for the occasional times that i need to see a web site not in a mobil version. My wife has a computer that i hate and will not read my external drive unless i get a pigtail usb for it. I was wondering if an asus tablet would work in the end better or at least just as good as getting a new laptop. I was thinking of getting a refurbished one and trading in my acer tab. of course i would get the key board attachment. If this would work which one would be the best and the most likly to update. There are so many transformers out there now that i have lost track. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

I used a laptop for a while. When I got the tablet it was fun and the on-screen keyboard was neat, but it didn't quite replace the laptop. Then I got the keyboard dock... and literally have not touched the laptop since.

There's a difference, and a bit of a learning curve, but I think for many if not most tasks one uses a laptop for the tablet+dock is a viable replacement.

Mine is a TF101, I would recommend getting a newer one unless you can get the 101 for a song. It's a good unit, don't get me wrong, but the newer ones are better. Also the 101 dock is not interchangeable with newer versions.
    vicshalls likes this.
  3. vicshalls

I was looking at the tf 300:thw price is not crazy high. My laptop is a 12" and man those cost a ton. Hell that one cost a ton back when I could afford things. I just don't have that kind of money any more but don't want a huge laptop. Hoping this will be a viable replacement.
  4. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Well-Known Member

As DB2 said the 101 is a good option. It has CIS (4.0) version of Android, and most likely will not get Jelly Bean.
    The 300 has JB and the main difference is no gorilla glass( a negative), but it does have a faster CPU.
    I have the 101 and it has been a good replacement for MOST of things I used the laptop to accomplish. That said there are areas were Andriod lacks and you will need to go back to the laptop, mainly printing with Android is not up to par with windows.
    There are a lot of free or inexpensive apps that will allow you to do most of what you need to do.
    The best is the weight and the long battery life especcially with the dock.
  5. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

With the Cloud Print app I've been able to do a lot of printing, The catch is you have to have a Cloud Print printer or a computer with Chrome to share a printer through.
  6. vicshalls

wow thanks so much for the advice. This is sounding like the choice i will end up making. I need to get all of my stuff off my hard drive and on to some cloud before i am not able to get to it at all any more.
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

Many printer manufacturers now do their own app that enables you to print to any of their printers connected to your network. I have a networked Brother printer and scanner and I can print from and scan to my Asus tf300 using Brother's free Android app. Will be the same for the tf101.