Decided to Wait for the 2.1 OTA

Last Updated:

1. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Rather than download the 2.1 update from the host server to update my Droid, I've decided to wait it out and receive the OTA whenever Verizon sends it to me. I'm not a techie - yes, I'm super into my Droid and love to discover new things it can do - but the fear of messing it up, or worse... bricking the thing... is keeping me from jumping the gun as most of the tech-savvy users on this board have done recently. It seems a little tricky, sometimes problematic, to update this way. For me to do so would probably send me to the loony bin. :eek:

Anyways, good luck to those who decide to mount and upgrade before the OTA!

Advertisement
  2. BigDaddyCool

BigDaddyCool Active Member

It is really a very simple process. If you follow the instructions that are posted it will take about 2 mins with no more chance of bricking than if you let Verizon push it to you.

3. hall640

hall640 Member

I can tell you I did it also in just a few minutes and smartphone techy is not my middle name, but I don't see much difference in the versions anyhow so it really doesn't matter if you decide to wait.

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

I think the ones that have had problems are people who didn't unroot properly. The process of forcing the update is as simple as copying a zip file to your sd card and then pressing a few buttons as the phone starts up. There will be literally zero difference between the update.zip that people have linked to and what you will have when Verizon sends you the update - they are the same thing.

If that's the way you feel I say just wait for it to be pushed to you over the air though. I mean, really (ESE81) 2.1 isn't that amazing, especially not compared to the custom roms you can get. It will be pushed to you within a couple of days at most.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

nstallion hit the nail on the head. Almost all of these bugs you see being posted about the 2.1 OTA are because the user didn't properly unroot back to a completely stock 2.0.1 prior to updating. Honestly the best way to do it is to use the SBF file for 2.0.1 because it will revert EVERYTHING back to stock, but the DroidMod unroot method just removes stuff from /system without actually re-flashing anything. And to make it worse flashing the OTA 2.1 over a custom although unrooted ROM is going to create unknown problems no matter what.

6. Scottd9000

Scottd9000 Well-Known Member

This is a April fools joke I am sure.

7. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

Actually, i never rooted, but i still had to reset the phone back to factory after my manual update (was stuck in a boot loop for hours). Prolly some stupid app, my wife's phone on the other hand went smooth.. go figure...

-=<> Aaron <>=-

8. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

I manually forced the update yesterday. Works like a dream. Just do it now and don't wait till the full rollout, there's really no need.

9. adirdam23

adirdam23 Member

I am a non techie to the max. But I am also very impatient so I went ahead and forced the update. I don't see anyway to mess the phone up as this is not rooting the phone. I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't even lost a bar of battery, and usually I would have by now. Phone has been off the charger since 7 and I am running gps, bluetooth, wifi, and sync. I also think everything runs a lot smoother and faster. But thats just me...

10. adirdam23

adirdam23 Member

Another thing that I did do, is I did a factory reset to my phone before I forced the update, so I dont know if that played a factor in my increased battery life. But all in all, I am liking 2.1

11. sanfaz

sanfaz Member

As a noob and having my Droid for just over a month I found the force DL and instructions extremely easy to do and was succesful on my first try. I like to get the latest and greatest from the front of the line.

12. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

why did you post this, do you think we care that you want to wait.......well we don't

13. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

2.1 has better battery/memory management so it wasn't the reset that did that. also the new baseband helps the battery further by making the radio more power efficient

14. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound like too much of a d*ck, but I was wondering the same thing. And why is everyone else trying to push him to do it manually?

I'm also waiting for the OTA update for reasons of my own. Everyone just needs to relax. And for those of us waiting, it'll just be a few days...