• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help decipher pleeze

bleedGreen

Android Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2010
Virginia
O K !!!!!

W/ suggestions from all yous guys on this marvelous forum, I downloaded SPEEDTEST. I have a D1 unrooted w/ the Froyo. My download is: 898kbps

Upload: 685kbps.

Tell me.........all I need to know based on these numbers please. I am this close to rooting. Yous all have probably talked me into it a long time ago, I need to take the next step.:D

The speed of your internet connection has little to do with the internal processor speed. Rooting will do little to affect SpeedTest.. but it WILL allow you to (a) install a recovery image so you can back up your phone; (b) overclock that puppy and really speed it up; and (c) install a custom ROM like Ultimate Droid. Rooting is evidently so easy now, there's really nothing to it anymore. I highly recommend you dive on in.

Reactions: bleedGreen
Upvote 0
O K !!!!!

W/ suggestions from all yous guys on this marvelous forum, I downloaded SPEEDTEST. I have a D1 unrooted w/ the Froyo. My download is: 898kbps

Tell me.........all I need to know based on these numbers please. I am this close to rooting. Yous all have probably talked me into it a long time ago, I need to take the next step.:D

I want to add to this w/ my own quote: I am averaging 576.333-download, from a server 34.10 miles away.
Average 751-upload, from same server.
Tested 3x. Ping of 266ms.

Now I changed the server to a Wash. DC location approx 2mile diff, 1x test: 1050 DL & 641 UL w/ a ping of 166ms(not sure what that is)

What is it telling me????

FREAK--can I keep my server location to the better one somehow???????

Upvote 0
That's just telling you how fast your internet connection is. The ping tells you how many milliseconds (thousandths of a second) it takes to actually MAKE the connection with the distant end server, and then it downloads and uploads a small file to determine the speed of the connection.

That doesn't mean that your internet connection is always going to THAT location... it's just the site of the test.

Upvote 0
That's just telling you how fast your internet connection is. The ping tells you how many milliseconds (thousandths of a second) it takes to actually MAKE the connection with the distant end server, and then it downloads and uploads a small file to determine the speed of the connection.

That doesn't mean that your internet connection is always going to THAT location... it's just the site of the test.

Great. How could I possibly test 3g connection? I know it depends on the towers, but i am soo near towers alot. Could the D1 be muffed up a little and NOT able to receive 3g well enough? (that idea is based on a past thread), and does rooting help 3g, and also help internet connection, w/ the clocking the phone mechanisms?

Upvote 0
Great. How could I possibly test 3g connection? I know it depends on the towers, but i am soo near towers alot. Could the D1 be muffed up a little and NOT able to receive 3g well enough? (that idea is based on a past thread), and does rooting help 3g, and also help internet connection, w/ the clocking the phone mechanisms?

You could always turn OFF wifi and force the phone to use 3G. It doesn't test your connectivity to various towers, although you use them to get to the test server. I think 200-something milliseconds is pretty zippy for connection through various towers and servers to get to the test site. Make sure you have the latest baseband C_01.43.01P on your Droid (which you likely do). Rooting alone will not increase your phone's speed, although overclocking may help the processor read/write the test files faster and conceivably speed up the test. I don't know if it will make a noticeable difference, though. It would be interesting to find out.

Congratulations, Green, you're the guinea pig :D

Upvote 0

Tell me.........all I need to know based on these numbers please.
All that tells you is the connection speed to a given test server. To use a car analogy, it's like asking "I'm going 70mph on this freeway. Tell me all I need to know based on this number". There's really not much else to say. It's just a speed measurement at a certain point and it may be meaningless at another point. I mean, driving 70 on one part of a freeway doesn't mean that I can drive 70 at all points. Similarly, getting 898Kbps download from one server doesn't mean that you'll get the same speed from all servers on the internet.

There are a number of variables that will affect your speed including your coverage at the given time, tower traffic, traffic to the server, connections between you and the server, etc etc. A single speed measurement isn't much of a meaningful set of numbers on its own. Think of them as you would blood pressure measurements. A single measurement doesn't mean anything on its own. It's the trend of multiple measurements that really mean something. Check your speed to this server over time to determine your average speed to that specific server and see how the speed varies.

I want to add to this w/ my own quote: I am averaging 576.333-download, from a server 34.10 miles away.
Average 751-upload, from same server.
Tested 3x. Ping of 266ms.

Now I changed the server to a Wash. DC location approx 2mile diff, 1x test: 1050 DL & 641 UL w/ a ping of 166ms(not sure what that is)

What is it telling me????
That you can connect faster to one test server than another. As I mentioned, there are a number of variables that come into play. You'll definitely get different numbers from different servers in different locations with different loads and different interconnects between you and the servers and different traffic conditions, etc etc. Again, a single measurement doesn't mean much in itself.

FREAK--can I keep my server location to the better one somehow???????
You're not connecting to the internet via that server. You can certainly speed test against that server all you want but that won't have any impact on your actual connection speed. Speed tests simply measure the speed between your device and the test server. The actual speeds you get between your device and various servers on the internet will vary and you will have to connect to different servers -- that's how the internet works. When you hit Google.com you're hitting Google's servers. When you hit Microsoft.com you're hitting Microsoft's servers. When your email app is retrieving email it's doing so by connecting to your mail server(s). You can't connect to only one server unless that one server contains all you need from the internet. Your connections to these different servers will not be at the same speed.

Now, your overall speed limit should remain mostly the same. However, what's theoretically your maximum speed won't equal the connection speed to a specific server. A rough analogy would your car's maximum speed. You probably won't ever achieve that maximum speed unless all conditions are ideal (road surface, whether the road is straight enough, weather, traffic, type of tires, the condition of your tires, etc etc). There are plenty of variables that can prevent you from achieving the maximum.

Great. How could I possibly test 3g connection? I know it depends on the towers, but i am soo near towers alot.
Right. And different towers will have different impacts on your speed. Just a single tower can have a number of variables affecting your speed such as the tower's connection to the internet, the traffic on the tower, the coverage you're getting from the tower, etc etc. Again, measuring your speed with one tower doesn't mean that you'll always get that same speed on every tower that you could possibly connect to.

and does rooting help 3g, and also help internet connection, w/ the clocking the phone mechanisms?
No. All rooting does is basically give you admin access for your device. It's not a magical panacea. Rooting does allow you to overclock but you aren't overclocked just from rooting. Rooting isn't going to affect 3G or your internet connection.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
All that tells you is the connection speed to a given test server. To use a car analogy, it's like asking "I'm going 70mph on this freeway. Tell me all I need to know based on this number". There's really not much else to say. It's just a speed measurement at a certain point and it may be meaningless at another point. I mean, driving 70 on one part of a freeway doesn't mean that I can drive 70 at all points. Similarly, getting 898Kbps download from one server doesn't mean that you'll get the same speed from all servers on the internet.

There are a number of variables that will affect your speed including your coverage at the given time, tower traffic, traffic to the server, connections between you and the server, etc etc. A single speed measurement isn't much of a meaningful set of numbers on its own. Think of them as you would blood pressure measurements. A single measurement doesn't mean anything on its own. It's the trend of multiple measurements that really mean something. Check your speed to this server over time to determine your average speed to that specific server and see how the speed varies.

That you can connect faster to one test server than another. As I mentioned, there are a number of variables that come into play. You'll definitely get different numbers from different servers in different locations with different loads and different interconnects between you and the servers and different traffic conditions, etc etc. Again, a single measurement doesn't mean much in itself.

You're not connecting to the internet via that server. You can certainly speed test against that server all you want but that won't have any impact on your actual connection speed. Speed tests simply measure the speed between your device and the test server. The actual speeds you get between your device and various servers on the internet will vary and you will have to connect to different servers -- that's how the internet works. When you hit Google.com you're hitting Google's servers. When you hit Microsoft.com you're hitting Microsoft's servers. When your email app is retrieving email it's doing so by connecting to your mail server(s). You can't connect to only one server unless that one server contains all you need from the internet. Your connections to these different servers will not be at the same speed.

Now, your overall speed limit should remain mostly the same. However, what's theoretically your maximum speed won't equal the connection speed to a specific server. A rough analogy would your car's maximum speed. You probably won't ever achieve that maximum speed unless all conditions are ideal (road surface, whether the road is straight enough, weather, traffic, type of tires, the condition of your tires, etc etc). There are plenty of variables that can prevent you from achieving the maximum.

Right. And different towers will have different impacts on your speed. Just a single tower can have a number of variables affecting your speed such as the tower's connection to the internet, the traffic on the tower, the coverage you're getting from the tower, etc etc. Again, measuring your speed with one tower doesn't mean that you'll always get that same speed on every tower that you could possibly connect to.

No. All rooting does is basically give you admin access for your device. It's not a magical panacea. Rooting does allow you to overclock but you aren't overclocked just from rooting. Rooting isn't going to affect 3G or your internet connection.

takeshi R O C K S !!!!

thank you soo much for that detailed answer (s)

W O W***

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones