• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

decisions: Samsung Moment, or Epic

fredknex

Sep 16, 2010
I know the Epic is fantastic, but is it better than a free but lesser phone?

The last few months i've been obsessing about the end of my Verizon contract and being able to get affordable get an android phone on Sprint. when i move to sprint, I'm moving to my dad's family plan, he's willing to pay the 20 bucks a month for the added line. (highschooler still)

The issue is the lack of cell service at my house, and only limited basic voice/texting coverage in town. no 3g, certainly no 4g. the phone will mostly run over wifi at my house. My dad, who does live in a 4g area, offered to give me his Samsung moment for free, but even if i buy the Epic outright, I might have to just front the cash for the added 10 dollar fee.

I figure with yearly upgrades ill start with just one year of total fees on the assumption I'll be paying them, and minus the 40 bucks for a bigger micro sd card ill have to purchase for the moment.

So, do you think the Epic's superior everything is worth the potential ~300 dollars more, vs the free samsung moment?

just curious to others thoughts and experiences, I've played with epic and evo display models, and don't know if i could go to an older device without feeling like its lacking, but free is a big enough plus to make me uncertain,
thanks for any input.

the Epic will cost you $200 with a contract. the moment is plauged by many problems. if you are planning to root and customize i would say a moment is worth messing about with. the epic is CLEARLY the superior phone. if you can afford the $200 plus the additional $10 fee the Epic would be my decision. i like my moment enough, but had to hack the shit out of it to get it where i want it.

Upvote 0
thanks for your opinions/thoughts, depending on how things go, i'm going to buy the epic.

As it turns out, dad is actually up for an upgrade and also considering the epic after how much I've told him about it.
If he decides not to upgrade, I feel confident now in just buying the epic and that it will be worth the money, but if he does upgrade, I can just use the moment for as long or as little as i like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones