Declining Reception

Last Updated:

1. spfulfill

spfulfill Member This Topic's Starter

I have been quite happy with my Droid for many months, but I've been noticing my reception has been gradually getting worse. My phone seems to be sitting at one or two bars way more often than not, and once in a while I'm seeing 1x where I never did before. Is anyone else having issues? The only things that have changed is that I started using bluetooth for my vehicle and the very recent OS upgrade. Are these both contributing?

Advertisement
  2. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

I've been noticing it too. At home and at my office all day. I have no idea what to attribute it to though.

(I'm in NYC.)

3. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I too have noticed this, well the 3G and 1X thing anyways. My phone reception hasn't changed much, but I see 1X more often that when I first got the phone a few months ago.

The weird thing is that when I turn WIFI on then off again, the 1X will change back to 3G. This tells me that it is slipping into 1X mode when it really should be in 3G mode. The only times this hasn't happened this way have been when I really am out of 3G range.

I live in Illinois and the only major change to my phone has been the 2.1 OTA.

Kratos

4. littlepaperstars

littlepaperstars Member

I've been experiencing this too, lately I have 1x and only 1 cell bar and I'm in a major metropolitan area, so it shouldn't be happening.

5. slosh

slosh Well-Known Member

Might be the new radio update in 2.1

6. refuzeandrezizt

refuzeandrezizt Well-Known Member

Mark me down as well. I have noticed it here in Western KY also. Never had any issues before the 2.1 update.

7. DapCorderman

DapCorderman Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing once, bad reception in areas where I typically have good reception and 1x instead of the usual 3g. I had just installed Google Voice and noticed the issue arose just after. I uninstalled and all was happy. Later after the latest Google Voice update (0.3.2) I reinstalled it hoping issues were fixed but the bad reception and 1x returned, uninstalled Google Voice and all was good.

8. jaymdee

jaymdee Member

im also in nyc im getting the same issue, im getting 1x more frequently than 3g
    this started before the update. also noticed browser is running much slower, and i have dolphin and opera mini. any clue to what is going on?

9. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Same here! I have never had such bad 3g reception. I wonder what is going on?

10. Berkshire5

Berkshire5 Active Member

I noticed the switch between 3G and 1x, too.

11. DECGTC

DECGTC Well-Known Member

Add me to the list (Western PA)... I used to have all bars. Now, on average, I see 1 or 2 and throw 1x into the mix as well.

12. potatolover1102

This is sounding like a very wide spread deal. We are all in completely different parts of the country and experiencing the same thing? I guess 2.1 radio software is to blame?

13. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Same here... I used to get a bad connection at work... but at least it was a connection. Now I am hitting the 1X and sometimes nothing. Hope there's a way to get this fixed. I don't like it!

14. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

I remember when I was researching CDMA a comment that it 'breathes' so I pulled up an article that talks about it and why it does that. It could explain your issues. IEEE Xplore - Sign In

15. Potty Time

Potty Time Member

i have noticed this as well and it makes me upset :( please fix it motorola

16. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Ditto to everyone else. What used to be good 3G coverage is now spotty at best and sometimes just 1x

17. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Well, the last couple/few days have not been giving me any problems. I can't help but wonder if it was just something with the network and has since been fixed.

18. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Not sure about your area... but nothing has changed for me since the update. Still get less signal in my usual places than I did before the update.

The update did cause a boot-loop for me though so I had to factory re-set... I wonder of that could have anything to do with it?

19. swr2000

swr2000 Well-Known Member

I've been having a much more difficult time with 3G. I've noticed when I pull up a webpage in the browser it'll load halfway then just sit there.

20. potatolover1102

Same!!! It is very annoying because I have to close out and sometimes and even force stop browsers to get data to work again!!

21. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I did the radio baseband update on BB - which I "believe" is the 2.1 radio and I have issues as well. People say that they go to VM, I have had VMs and no missed call, busy signal on the other end when they call me, etc.
    Pretty frustrating.

22. MNewmansnow

MNewmansnow Member

I believe my signal has been decreasing and fluctuating much more recently. I thought my signal started decreasing before the 2.1 update though. Webpages seem to take longer to load and many times will appear to hang. Also my signal will go up or down 2 bars while i'm staying in one place. I have even had my signal go from full bars to zero, then back to full while standing outside.

23. carlz28

carlz28 Well-Known Member

+6789
    Baseband update initially saw improvements for me. Stronger signal..3-4 bars when I normally had 0-2 bars. But still a good 3G connection.
    Now....back to 0-2 bars and 1x-3g switching constantly.
    Started getting worse about 3 days after updating the radio...**shrugs**

24. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

Im in Southern California and am having the same problem

25. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize so many people are having the same problem! I find myself doing *228 updates about twice a week now in the hopes that my signal will improve, if not in strength I at least want it to become stable.