• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help decrypt Galaxy S3

I don't know if this thread is still live but I have a similar issue and would like some advice if possible. I have just started to use a spare brand new boxed S3 as my work phone. (My previous work S3, which I've used for 18 months, was getting very slow and was malfunctioning, ie phone calls not hanging up... it hasn't been right since updating to the latest Android OS).
Anyway, as the new phone is for work I had to encrypt it. THEN I realised (duh) that the phone still has the original IS (4.04) and maybe I ought to do a software update. But as above, the auto-update didn't work and the Decrypt option is greyed out.
So, my question is this... is there any real issue with me staying with the old 4.04 OS permanently? Or will there be problems with the device if I don't have the latest version... if only with using apps?
As I mentioned, in my previous S3 the software update was a nightmare so I wouldn't be that sorry to stick with v4.04 !
Thanks Julian

Upvote 0
Guys thanks for the effort u r giving...i tried everything you said...but the disable/enable encryption option was not coming...so i was not able to use a new SD card in the device even after formatting it...finally i got it..the process:--

1. do the factory reset without selecting any google/online back-up
2. the first restart after the reset, skip every account setup (don't even connect to internet) till u reach the final desktop view
3. go to "security" settings
4. click on "encrypt device"
5. click on "set the password"
6. give the exact same password you have given while doing the (deep) encryption for the very first time
7. done!!! disable/enable encryption option will come and other SD card will also work

Logic(why this is working)--->
Full/deep encryption for the first time means factory ROM (internal memory) settings has been changed and this will remain till the same ROM(internal memory) is used. In the course of time we change the lock/unlock/device-boot password many times. but these subsequent changed passwords doesn't alter the ROM (internal memory) settings, hence the original encryption/decryption password.

Thanks...

Dinesh
Delhi, India

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones