1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Dedicated ebook reader or just the phone?

1. thameera

thameera Well-Known Member

What do you use to read primarily: a dedicated ebook reader like Kindle/Nook or your android phone? And why?

As for me, I dropped the idea of buying a Kindle after getting my Galaxy Note. Reasons:
    1. The screen size is large enough to read.
    2. I read in public transport a lot. Taking the phone out from the pocket is always easier than having to take a reader from the bag.
    3. No need of book lights. With the phone it's simple to adjust the day/night modes and the brightness level to your will.

Would like to know your thoughts as well.

Advertisement
    ebusinesstutor likes this.
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I've had a 4.3" screen phone since June 2010 and have been using one to do my reading. Same reasons you list, plus I adjust fonts to match the typeface and size common to my favorite paperbacks. I prefer a light goldenrod background to ease the eyes.

I highly recommend the Mantano Reader app.

You can enjoy Project Gutenberg with all features working by entering that link as one of your feeds. (m dot gutenberg dot org)
  3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

I use a kindle. I don't really read on the go too much, but I do really like the kindle display. Very much similar to paperback, and I kinda get a bit of eye strain when reading on my phone for too long. That being said, I do read on my phone as well, just not as much.
  4. timm2

timm2 New Member

I read for over an hour a day on my commute to work. For me, the screen on the Kindle is far nicer for reading from. The phone works fine for light reading, but I sometimes find that with more complex text I'll miss some important detail because I'm constantly flipping pages. My handset (HTC Wildfire) has a terrible screen, so YMMV.

I used to use my Kindle for serious reading, and my phone whenever I want to travel light. The Kindle app makes this work very well, as you can pick up from exactly where you left off reading on the other device (though I think this will only work on books purchased from the Kindle store). The latest keyboardless Kindle is so small that I don't even bother doing this, since I can easily fit it in a jacket pocket or whatever.
  5. chaos3232

chaos3232 Active Member

I love physical books, that's just me. I've been going back and forth between my ipad (Which I mainly use for school and reading) and my phone while I'm not home.

My Dad has a kindle and recently upgraded to a kindle fire. Each are very nice and easy to read on. I've never been quite a fan for the nook, but they all seem to be good choices.
  6. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member Contributor

I read on my Nook Color, My EVO (landscape mode) or a regular book. I'm not much of a book reader but I do read when I can and have time, which is not much.
  7. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Ever since you posted this I been using mantano reader, absolutely love it! Wish I could find a way to widen margins though. I have a couple epub files that the margins are screwed. Aldiko let's me change margin width. Now I'm switching between the two
  8. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This

I tried using my phone and a tablet and found I couldn't "read" them because it felt like I was staring at a computer screen. Borrowed a Kindle and bought myself one the next day!
  9. NightAngel79

Yea, its high time i steal my girls...

only disadvantage is needing a light source
  10. Kelmar

I bought a case that uses the power from the kindle to light an LED that illuminates the screen. Expensive case but fits my needs/wants completely.
  11. NightAngel79

How much? Link?
  12. Kelmar

NightAngel79 likes this.
  13. chaos3232

chaos3232 Active Member

Honestly, as I said before I do have an iPad (please don't kill me), but one of the better reasons for reading on it is specifically for the backlight. The kindle fire is a great size too and has a backlight. One reason I prefer the kindle app is because if I'm on the go, I always have my phone with me and it will sync up where I'm at with my books to all of my other devices.
  14. Kelmar

Wait .. You said WHAT!!?

J/K :p There is nothing wrong with that. You've got a device that you like and are happy with. That's all that matters! :cool:
  15. NightAngel79

I actually would love some pics... text you how? gtalk?
    (no data signal at work to use phone but will try to remember to remind you :))
    I like the backlight (i do most/all of my reading on phone) but the kindle screen is completely unparalleled
    You should really patent 'swypo' :)
  16. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

The backlight is exactly why I DON'T read books on my phone or Nook Tablet, I way prefer my original eInk Nook for reading, so much easier on the eyes.
  17. Kelmar

^ Agreed!

Whichever... Or email... Or...?

I know, right!?!
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  18. Yoshkow

Yoshkow New Member

I have to go with the Kindle Touch - looks like paper...no glare. Phone if I have to, but miss my Kindle if I do...
  19. Jesslynne

Jesslynne Active Member

I got the Kobo Vox before the Nexus S, so I do have both. I have been finding though that I'm not taking my Vox around with me as much as usual since the phone is easier to lug around than the Vox. Thinking about it.. I haven't touched it in days. Though the Vox itself is more like an android tablet with a lower processor speed. So it's not strictly a reader, just advertised as one.
  20. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

For the backlight issues, you can adjust brightness and background colors so.....I mean you can put it to lowest then in night mode.
  21. thameera

thameera Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I do. Screen Filter lets you adjust the brightness to any level at your whim.
  22. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

The new Nook is backlit e-ink. The Verge and Engadget seem to love it. A touch on the pricey side, but I think worth it if you read a lot in the dark.
    Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight review -- Engadget
    I have young eyes so reading something that's a backlit LCD doesn't bother me so much.
  23. Shinji01

Shinji01 Well-Known Member

I so want a ebook, but i only have phones so i read on the phone.
    The ipad was too heavy to hold up in one hand so i gave up on that idea.
  24. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

I usually read on my tablet. Because that goes where ever I go, it's easy enough to just read. And I don't usually read for more then an hour at a time, it doesn't give me much strain.
  25. Romulous

Romulous Well-Known Member

I picked up a Kindle for my Wife as part of her wedding anniversary present and she loved it.

The Kindle was something that i never considered for myself although i do like reading books, however i was absolutely gobsmacked by the quality of the screen, unbelievable battery life and this is with the case with the built in LED light.

I have to admit, that although i enjoy reading books on my Tab 2 10.1, when it is in the official Samsung shock case, the weight can be a bit tiring.

SO, my wife has decided to pick me up a Kindle for my Christmas.