• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dedicated IP CCTV system using TinyCam PRO

bhzmac

Lurker
Feb 2, 2017
I now have to find an alternative device to run my small IP CCTV system at home since the PC went up in smoke, for reasons of cost and energy performance I have decided a dedicated android system is the way forward.

TinyCam Pro is the app that I have been using for remote viewing, but is fully capable of recording / motion detection, and it can launch a web based server to view live feeds and recordings from another device, perfect for my needs.

I want to use a dedicated device to run the app on, and wish to know what are the minimum spec for processors and memory etc would be for my needs:

Run TinyCam with x 4 IP cams (x1 2MP x4 1MP) - Motion Detection Active on all 4
Run TinyCam Web Server Permanently
LAN and WIFI
Android 5.1 +
Run Team Viewer for remote access device will be hidden in a loft space
Expand storage with a 1TB external usb hard drive
Possibly enough resources to run some other app possibly a FTP server.

I looking at some quad core android tv boxes but really want to narrow down what I need in terms of performance to run my set up without running out of system resources.

I would think that because of the fragile and unpredictable nature of Android TV boxes, they would be the very last device on which you would invest your home security system.

Buy or build a cheap server-type PC.

If you can't afford to build a dedicated PC ($200 should be more than enough.) to house your home CCTV system then you have nothing worth stealing and no need of the system anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones