• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Deep Sleep Battery Saver" .. great way to save battery on Tablets

I think the big difference is that JD hasn't been updated in over three years. I doubt that it works very well at all on 4.0+. JD also doesn't claim to make apps sleep better (or whatever DS says).

But yeah, they seem to pretty much do the same thing - toggle radio connectivity and synchronization on a set schedule.

Upvote 0
I think if it were just toggles to switch on and off networks and syncs...

why is DS so large an app? 3.62 MB.
toggles don't need to be that large.

JD is only 1.5 MB. even that seems large to be just a toggle.

so.. I am hopping there is more it is doing that is JUST for battery savings.
if NOT.. then I am worried what is all that extra programming for??? snooping? tracking? logging?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I think if it were just toggles to switch on and off networks and syncs...

why is DS so large an app? 3.62 MB.
toggles don't need to be that large.

JD is only 1.5 MB. even that seems large to be just a toggle.

so.. I am hopping there is more it is doing that is JUST for battery savings.
if NOT.. then I am worried what is all that extra programming for??? snooping? tracking? logging?
Pretty images, widgets, notification entries, etc.

Also, work-arounds for platform limitations (the way that apps are able to control GPS, Wifi, and Mobile Data has changed quite a bit with recent Android releases, so some of them may be kind of hacky).

DS does seem to be a much more polished app all-around.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Most proper phones will hibernate if left in airplane mode and screen off. (Or as shown, will do that without messing with radios but not everyone gets my mileage. But anyway...)

Not sure what secret sauce is added here (or needed) to force hibernation, as I understand it, it's keeping 2G and shutting down everything else, yes?

As long as it works without borking Android, more's the better.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I agree.. that most cases...
android should sleep just fine.

but I know that I put this Note8 on airplane mode.
and I can see that android OS.. background functions come on.. and eat up battery.
and shows that it is NOT staying hibernation mode.

maybe just an issue with 4.4.4 on Note8 ATT version with NO service.. in airplane mode.
this is with it being a fresh hardrest.. and just a few apps loaded like "flipboard" and angry birds loaded.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones