• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default browser not showing UTF-8?

Pranas

May 24, 2010
Hi guys.

Got my phone yesterday, I like default browser very much, but I have just experienced an unexpected inconvenience.

My native language involves UTF-8 characters. First page I accidentally visited uses UTF-8 character set as well (can be seen in page source). Accordingly default browser's text encoding (in "Settings") was set to UTF-8 instantly when I first saw it.
I find it very weird, that characters are not displayed correctly and that makes browsing experience terrible. How should I solve this problem?

EDIT: That's just unbelievable. I went to "Dolphin HD" browser, changed text encoding to UTF-8, made a soft restart and found that this page is still displayed in the same wrong way (now I am looking at http://www.slovo.info/testuni.htm ). "Opera Mini" brings the right output, but that's not going to be a solution for me.
Overall, it is very confusing, even primitive devices have no problems with this. Maybe I am missing some important settings?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones