Default browser or switch?

Last Updated:

1. hopsyturvy

hopsyturvy Member This Topic's Starter

I really like the default browser with the HTC desire. It seems fast and intuitive, and above all I love the way it zooms - formatting text to fit the window, and especially the way it seems to 'snap' to the edges of tables - great for reading news sites where the content is sandwiched in between loads of junk.

But I've never used a different browser on a smartphone, and I wondered how others compared. It's not perfect - swtiching between windows is cumbersome and there doesn't seem to be tabs - which means that sometimes pages can be doing stuff in the background and you'll never even know. And the menus and controls aren't ideal - it's all there but it's annoying having to hit menu then more before you can hit the 'home' key.

So are there any other browsers that have the speed, perfect layout, and intuitive feel of the default browser but better controls and other features? Would appreciate some recommendations of others to try

Advertisement
  2. Caspa

Caspa Well-Known Member

I would recommend Dolphin HD...

3. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

Ive never bothered with other browsers. When i had my HTC Diamond, i installed opera and tried that for a while. Uninstalled within 4 minutes. Stick with the default.

4. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of giving Dolphin a go as you can download and save youtube videos

5. cnanthony

cnanthony Well-Known Member

Ive tried both Opera and Skyfire - all they do is take up valuable real estate on screen for very little added functionality. Would have kept Skyfire if you could minimise the menus and the zoom function wasn't stepped. Haven't tried Dolphin but I get the feeling as with everything on Android its a bit of trial and error to see what works best for you.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Really love the deault browser, using it since i got the Desire. However, terribly impressed with dolphin HD. Its a desktop-like browsing experience. So im on to using that now.

7. dunbad

dunbad Well-Known Member

I'm using xscope and I love it. Skyfire was ok, VERY snappy, but it eats the battery the same as it did on WM. Also didn't really like the way in which it worked too much, but great for playing flash. The reason I'm sticking with xscope is because it's still faster than the default browser, I like the single finger pin zoom. Download aswell as play YouTube videos. And I found it way ahead of dolphin.

8. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

The brick wall in getting a none default browser, is the bookmarks widget. I use this extensively as the entry point to the internet, and the inability for other browsers to edit the bookmarks (I know touching them will open whatever browser is set to default) or to have a similar widget is a real show stopper for me. If I am mistaken and there are similar full screen widgets for bookmarks that can be edited from within Dolphin etc then I would be really interested in knowing.

9. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Tried Opera and Skyfire. Didn't like either compared to the default one. I'll try Dolphin now but if it doesn't have pinch zoom I doubt i'll be interested.

Edit: ooh it has pinch zoom :D

10. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Is there an option anywhere in dolphin to save the cache to the sd card?

11. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Dolphin has a large bookmarks widget.

12. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Does it? Great - I'll give it a go again. Has it always had one? Last time I tried was with my Hero several months ago and I never knew about one then

Hmm - can't find it under the widget list. What am I missing? Aaah- an add-on. Got it now.

13. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Wow Dolphin is pretty good..

Will give it a long try out I think :D

14. TEK-WARRIOR

TEK-WARRIOR Member

Dolphin hd browser is AWESOME, the default browser on my HTC DESIRE (simfree) is very good, also tried opera. but after reading about and installing dolphin hd browser i'm sticking with it.pinch to zoom is very good, very easy to set bookmarks.
    to many functions to mention in this browser, very impressed with it :D.

15. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD is great, very impressed. One thing though, I can't seem to find a way to set the homepage anywhere, it's probably massively obvious but I can't find it. Can anyone help at all?

thanks.

16. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Open the browser press menu>more>settings>system settings then scroll down to set home page.;)

17. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

Tried a lot of different browsers, andfound xscope to be the best alternative. Went back to the default in the end though.

18. Willie Heckerslyke

Willie Heckerslyke Well-Known Member

I really love the default browser...apart from one niggling annoyance.

There's a forum I visit every day and it has a few flash-based ads that you never usually even notice. However, with the def browser, very often I'll get one of the ad banners plonked right across the main page and often right over the majority of the text in a reply/post :rolleyes:

It's really getting on my nerves now tbh...if it wasn't for this, it would be fine, but after reading about Dolphin etc, I might try something else to see how they fare....

19. weirdNumber

weirdNumber Well-Known Member

Dolphin HD is pretty neat, I have one niggle with it so far which may well be fixable. When swiping though google image search results I keep bringing up up the 'open windows' box.

I haven't really found anything that Dolphin does significantly better than the default browser, and I didn't find anything that the default browser didn't do so I might switch back at some point.