1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Default Browser Won't Save

1. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Problem:

When I click links either from Google Now, from PDFs, etc that are supposed to open in an internet browser, I get the option to choose which app to open it with without fail. No matter what I try, my default browser choice will not save.

Notes:

I have been researching this for a while, and have come across many other people with similar issues that have been solved: I have tried to reset all application associations (no fix); I have tried to clear all defaults for the bundled browser (it has none); I have tried to disable the bundled browser (it is grayed out); I have used Default App Manager (it works only briefly, then reverts to my issue).

The only way I have been able to not have to choose which browser to use is by uninstalling all other browser apps except the bundled browser. I find this unacceptable. (For the record, I'm trying to use Chrome though the issue persists with Dolphin.)

I have not rooted my device (GS3) and would prefer not to.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Try this app....... brb......
    Default App Manager.
    Good luck mate :thumbup:
  3. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Thanks for the response, but as I said in my original post I have already tried the Default App Manager and it does not solve the problem.
    funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

Augh sorry.
    Yet again i dont read whole message. Im bad for that.
    I know this isnt a fix but dont u find any of the respected 3rd party browsers better (im prety sure most of them will import your bookmarks from stock)
    Im actualy enjoying chrome... havent noticed lack of flash, just wish it had full screen.
    Im like you, i have a few browsers and i know thier good sides but i prefer to choose which i wana use each time i get the choice screen.
    Sorry again for scanning your OP mate
    EDIT omg i did it again lol..... "no matter what browser u try",,..... sorry... im tired :)
  5. funkylogik

P.s, when does google Now give you browser links mate?
    What cards? :thumbup:
  6. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

I still don't think you're understanding my issue.

I am not trying to use the bundled browser (that is, the browser that came pre-installed on my GS3). I am trying to use others, specifically Chrome and Dolphin. I can still use these browsers, but every single time I try to open a link my phone asks which browser I want to use. I don't want this to happen. I want it to open all links in Chrome no matter what. My preferences will not save.
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. funkylogik

I know man sorry i edited my post lol.
    Think il stop replying for a while. Gettin married nxt wk n getting my ring tattoo'd on today so my brain is elsewhere.
    Sorry lol :beer:
  8. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Bump. I refuse to believe I'm the only person to ever have this issue.
  9. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

It's spreading. I now have the same issue with multiple apps not saving (ex. YouTube, Wikipedia). We can stay focused on the browser though.

Any help?
  10. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

Are you clearing the cache constantly by any chance?
  11. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Not purposely. How would I check that?
  12. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

Then you probably aren't. I thought you might have some cache/data clearing app that you run all the time. Just a thought.
  13. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Its a bug for several people with no fix. Some people have reset default keyboard in reboot. I have reset home app on reboot and randomly throughout the day and others can't set defaults for some apps at all.

We need a fix but as yet, on latest jellybean releases for February, still not fixed. Had these issues for 3 months
    jpowell2k likes this.
  14. funkylogik

Yup i had the keyboard thing. Very annoying.
    Now im using a very TW based custom rom and the problem isnt there so thats all i can suggest.
    Sorry about my previous jibber jabber op lol :thumbup:
  15. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

I thought it was only a touchwiz bug
  16. funkylogik

Yeah Neat Rom seems to have addressed it though m8. Intentionaly or not, i duno lol
  17. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I'll have to wait for updates or root the device.
  18. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

I'm rooted, I still haven't a solution
  19. jpowell2k

jpowell2k Member

Rooted phone, disabled stock browser, seemed to be the only way to solve the issue.
    funkylogik likes this.
  20. funkylogik

It took you from MARCH.... to ROOT THE PHONE???? :p jk lol glad you got there man :beer: