• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default Droid Wallpaper?

**UPDATE: I believe I've found the default wallpaper image!!! :D

default_wallpaper.jpg

Reactions: RobStemen
Upvote 0
I am looking for a way to extract the Wallpaper that is currently on my Droid, that I customized a few versions ago. I have updated to NxBeast 1.0, and after that was done, I still have my custom wallpaper i made from a JPG, but I have lost the JPG.

Can a PIC be extracted from a running Wallpaper?
I do not see that pic anywhere in the phone. I even went so far as to mount it to a PC, and search the entire SDCard.. It ain't there....I want that pic back!
Ideas?

Upvote 0
Hope this helps anyone looking for their current wallpaper. The cureent wallpaper is stored in

/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

If you are rooted and can access the directory then you can copy the file (wallpaper is a file not a dir) and add the jpg extension to it (it is in jpg format but with no extension) so you can view it.

NOTE: I would not overwrite the file unless the new file matches the format (size, resolution, etc) since the phone edits the image when you select it from the gallery to certain specifications. When you copy a file it doesn't like you will get a default wallpaper that the phone falls back to.

Reactions: csoga
Upvote 0
Hope this helps anyone looking for their current wallpaper. The cureent wallpaper is stored in

/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

It helped me!

Thanks, Motley74...

I've been rooted several months, but kept the "stock" 2.1 ROM until CyanogenMod 6 RC-2 came out. After changing ROMs, and later updating to CM 6.0.0, it kept my old-standby wallpaper each time (the "gray concrete wall" from 2.01), but it was not in any of the CM wallpaper lists.... so I couldn't change WP without losing it altogether.

Now, I can give my phone a "fresh look" for a while, and be able to go back if I want... thanks again. :)

Upvote 0
@ motley74 thanks for directing me in the right direction but went looking for my wallpaper that was set through an app , which doesn't save it to sdcard. I started hunting through the different apk's and found it.

Here is were I found my wallpaper that I set (could be different for someone else) :

/data/data/com.android.settings/files

There it says wallpaper with an icon that looks like a white paper with goldish shield with red star on shield.

BUT it's not in the image (png or jpg) format. I copied it and pasted it to sdcard and renamed with .png as the ending just to see and voila. It was the wallpaper I set.

thanks again motley and hope it helps someone else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones