Default How to do a factory reset without losing applications/settings? Since updating to Froyo onSupport

Last Updated:

1. spooksmcgee

spooksmcgee Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 8, 2010
    Since updating to Froyo on my Droid X, I've noticed my camera's autofocus won't work at all. I first noticed this because the barcode scanner can't read bar codes anymore because they are too blurry. I want to try a factory wipe to see if that fixes it. I just did a factory wipe 2 weeks ago and it erased all of my applications and settings and was a huge pain to reinstall everything. Is there a way to backup these apps, so I can just automatically re-download them after I do the wipe? Thanks for any help.

2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Install AppBrain from Market, then go to and login with the Google account you used for your phone. When you open the AppBrain app and sync it, your apps will be on appbrain, available for downloading to your phone after a reset and reinstall of AppBrain.

Also, many apps, like Launcher Pro, and Folder Organizer (ones I use), allow you to export your settings to the SD card so you can quickly restore them after a reset.

Did you think to clean the lens on your phone? I find my fingers get on mine waaay too easy.

Here's how to restore your apps after a reset, using AppBrain:
  3. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    I don't think appbrain will restore your program settings.

Best way, I think, is to root your phone and install Titanium backup (paid version).

Backup apps with data (I think that's the option). Factory wipe and then restore apps with data.

Since you are trying to fix a system problem, I wouldn't backup/restore system data. You will lose your system settings (wifi, ringtones, speeddials, homescreen icon positions), but it shouldn't take that long to restore that stuff, especially if you take notes first.

At least you'll quickly have all of your app and app settings back to exactly where they wee.