default SMS

Last Updated:

1. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting my Droid Saturday, and making a list of apps I will want. What is wrong with the stock SMS program?

Advertisement
  2. DR0ID

DR0ID Well-Known Member

nothing.

3. CrackberryMike

CrackberryMike Active Member

The particular taste and feel of a messaging app varies with each user: some like the stock version, others Handcent (like myself), while others prefer Chomp or some other derivative. Ultimately you will decide wht you like the best. :)

4. rdalcanto

Did I read somewhere that the default program doesn't get messages right away?

5. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

No that is google voice.

6. rdalcanto

Good to know. Thanks for the replies. I'm a littler nervous to download and install apps. I don't want them slowing down my phone, or causing problems. I've used very few apps on my iphone the last two years, and it has worked perfectly, except for AT&T dropping lots of calls. I don't want to end up with a phone that is crashing a lot....

7. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

my experience is that the if you have an alternative home app and have lots of widgets on it, get ready for Force closes and crashes. But if your using the 3 page stock home then the phone works ok. dont go crazy with apps ive noticed that mine got really really laggy and slow so much that the phone app wouldnt work and i couldnt take calls cuz it would freeze. take it slooooow young skywalker and use the force

8. Kirch21

Kirch21 Well-Known Member

i have had all 3 SMS apps. I like the stock the best for some reason. Simple i guess an i dont really like the iPhone like bubbles im not really an iPhone hater i just the it gets old having those bubbles all the time.

9. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

One problem w/ the stock app is group texting. You type in the name instead of going through your contacts. But this is yet another problem Handcent solves. Also, Handcent is VERY customizable. Maybe even a lil too customizable. But overall, a good replacement.

10. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

One thing I have found with stock is that it doesn't understand contacts nicknames. When I type "mom" in the TO field, it doesn't recognize it. I have to type "donna". But handcent does recognize nicknames. Minor, yes, but still I wonder why. Also handcent has the wow factor- customize just about everything- ringtone, font, color and way more.