Defeat the Unlock PatternSupport

Last Updated:

1. Tomcat7194

Tomcat7194 New Member

So I was looking around on various forums, and I found that a lot of people have noticed a flaw with the Android unlock pattern.

If someone enters their pattern and does something which requires little scrolling (like making a phone call), their pattern is often still visible on the screen, under direct light, in the form of a fingerprint "trail".

I decided to see if I could get an image of this trail, which proved quite difficult. I did, finally, manage to get something workable, though:

It's faint, but if you look at each dot, you can see some obvious connections (look from the lower left to the upper right). The effect is much much easier to see on a real phone, but I wanted to try to get a demonstrative picture.

Solutions for this include wiping the screen after use, or making a pattern that doubles back on itself. Try it on a friend's phone!

If you want more details about the image, etc, I blogged about this here.

2. SirFenwick

SirFenwick Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed this the day I got my G1. Sucks, but its best just to wipe the screen after using.

Plus you unlock it, then use it. So it should be a little harder to figure it out unless you just like locking your phone and unlocking it all day.