• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Definite Memory Leak

ghamden

Jul 10, 2010
Definite Memory Leak

Rooted Most bloatware removed also Using ATK memory starts around 280 i have atk set hourly memory leaks to around 170 atk runs brings it back to around 200 withi another hour down 100 atk runs brings it back to around 130

No push

email check hourly
no wifi ni BT
No Gps

moderate use

Could be why some are having battery issues

this problem also exists before Rooting

Hopefully 2.2 will remedy this issue

As for rooting no real performance boost after bloatware removed

Well, by definition a memory leak is a piece of memory not being referenced by a pointer, so the only way to get rid of a memory leak would be to clear all of the memory (reboot). And really all it takes is a bad programmer to create memory leaks.

Sorry, I feed the need to nickpick:

1. A memory leak is not just memory (*allocated* memory you mean) not referenced by a pointer (not that isn't a great way to leak). At the most basic level a 'memory leak' is memory that should have been free, but wasn't.

2. In most operating systems memory is tracked per-process (instance of a running program.) Closing that application would free all memory that program allocated, leaked or not. (having allocated memory at program shutdown, however, is often a sign of leaks) So rebooting is not the only way to free the memory, you should just be able to close the offending application.

3. I've known many excellent programmers who were responsible for memory leaks.

Upvote 0
as i said in another thread, memory is there to be used. running apps *should* consume it as is necessary for optimal performance. they should also release it when called for. the fact that your memory decrease over time (& use) should not be surprising. 'leak' is a misleading term. ATK is doing you no good. i mean, why is idle memory a desirable goal?

that said, if you are experiencing performance issues that you can reliably attribute to low memory...well, that is certainly a problem. i just think that trying to maximize your idle memory is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones