1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Defrag app?

1. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there is an app that defrags your system like how you can with windows. Do they make an app that defrags your android system?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

There is no need for defragging with solid-state/flash memory. It's only used with mechanical hard drives to speed up access.
    Rxpert83 and SirSpace like this.
  3. SirSpace

SirSpace Well-Known Member

Ty fox did not know
  4. cat_sorcerer

cat_sorcerer Member

What is the purpose of defragging??
  5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

On disc drives, defragmenting migrates the data into the center of the disc (and also aligns all the same programs together) for faster reading. It's not such of an issue with SSDs, because the device can read anywhere on the SSD at the same speed. Where a disc drive needs to spin the disc faster to read the information that physically is stored on the outer edge of the disc.

Android devices use solid-state drives, so this isn't required.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Defragging re-consolidates files stored on a hard drive. Quite frequently, on a Windows PC, as files are written to the hard drive, they are split up to fill in empty or blank spaces on the hard drive. The operating system has to manage (keep track of) where each piece of each file is located in the File Allocation Table. So, for example, if you have 10 files on your computer and each file is split into 10 pieces to fill in empty space, your File Allocation Table has to keep track of the 10 original files and the 100 pieces to make sure you have access to the files. Now expand that thought to thousands of files and the FAT has to keep track of hundreds of thousands of file bits. When you defrag, the system moves pieces of files around so that each file is written to a contiguous portion of the hard drive. This means that the operating system only has to keep track of the file in one spot. As you use the computer, this splitting of files happens more frequently and therefore the system begins to slow a bit. With normal fragmentation of the hard drive, the normal user should never see a difference in system performance, but as fragmentation gets higher and higher(as time goes on) the system can slow down drastically.

Hope this helps a bit.

BigRedGonzo
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Android/Linux never needs defragging, even if it runs on a disk instead of solid state memory.
  8. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Fragmentation is a very real issue with Androids, but it pertains to a completely different problem, that of having a thousand different phones from a hundred different carriers, each with their own interpretation of a dozen operating systems.
  9. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

That's called freedom of choice.
  10. BigRedGonzo

The alternative is a fresh fruit. Most folks find it very unappetizing.

BigRedGonzo
  11. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I didn’t say I don’t want freedom of choice or that I prefer unappetizing fresh fruit. I was just letting the OP know what the word ‘fragmentation’ means in the Android world.
  12. BigRedGonzo

jefboyardee likes this.