DeFroST Rom. MMS Failing? Radio??

Last Updated:

1. patpending

patpending Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Currently running DeFroST 4.7 on my rooted desire.

First question - I can't seem to get MMS to work, either send or receive? I've looked through threads on here, and also the DeFroST thread on xda developers, but I haven't seen a resolution ... anyone have any ideas?

Also, I keep seeing "Updated Radio" download links all over the place ... being a bit of a n00b, I would assume this is not to do with the FM Radio :eek: is there a simple explanation of what these may be? And should I need to worry about maybe updating mine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dave.
    HTC Desire
    Rooted
    DeFroST 4.7

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The radio is the software for the physical radio, which picks up your mobile network. you should try to keep up to date.

The latest radio which I am also using with defrost is her:

http://xda.b42.nl/richardtrip/32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14.zip

Put it on your SD card and flash it from recovery.

Keep an eye on the defrost thread in xda. it always mentions that recommended radio and latest defrost version in the first post.

[ROM-FroYo AOSP+CyanogenMod] DeFroST 4.9 01/10: HAVS/MODS/OTA - xda-developers

Mms could be down to the app settings. check your apn on network settings against your carrier's recommend settings.

Hope this helps

3. patpending

You seem to be the only one on the end of the keyboards for replying - thanks heaps Dan, really appreciate it.

So these "Radio" .zip's aren't carrier/region specific? Eg, being on Telstra in Australia isn't any different to being on Orange in the UK?

Also, the "flash it from recovery" instruction ...... can I install this using ROM Manager?

As for the MMS, I've checked and rechecked the APN settings ( I work in the Telstra shop :p ) but still no joy. Have trawled through the thread, and it seems that half of users' phones are fine with MMS and the other half don't work :/

Thanks again for your continued responses!

4. SUroot

In regards to mms then, not sure, sorry. don't really send mms.

Radio is pretty much like a driver. in Rom manager, choose boot into recovery. choose the option to install zip from SD card. browse to it and select it. it will install and tell you to reboot via the menu, so press back and select reboot system. this last bit is very important.

That's it

I'm on 4.9 now. No problems

5. patpending

Awesome, cheerz!

One last thing (for this thread anyway :p) is there any reason I'd need to update radio before or after an actual ROM update?

6. SUroot

I don't do it regularly. Usually I stay on the same radio for a few versions. Or do you mean should you do it before or after the rom? Guides usually tend to say before, but I usually do it afterward. Not sure if it makes a difference really. I often reflash the rom over itself after forgetting to remove apps so I guess thats both anyway haha

7. landwomble

landwomble Member

the only way I've got MMS to work reliably (I can always MMS myself, usually can't MMS other people on other networks) is via Handcent SMS. I set max MMS size to 200k, and set the phone identity to "iphone". It works now.
    MMS sending is complicated - there's the MMS/GPRS settings on the phone, there's the size of the message itself, there's stuff the networks do invisibly that changes size depending on sendign/receiving type of handset etc.
    The above works for me, anyway.

8. SUroot

Are you on the Defrost ROM?

9. cq914

cq914 New Member

I am having the same problem, MMS worked fine for me on the older defrost rom but I am on the latest ROM 5.1 and radio and I can't send and receive MMS.... its doesn't even go in the failed or sending state....

Does anybody have a solution regarding and btw yeah APN settings are correct and on the same setting a Nexus one is sending MMS fine.

10. SUroot

I just did a wipe data on a titanium backup for [sms / mms prefs], now all working fine.