Delete "all" phone contacts - not google contactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. eske

eske Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys,

I made a complete arse out of syncing my contacts and would appreciate a bit of help

I use my google contacts for all my phone numbers (about 500 numbers)

but i have managed to sync with my pc (old out-of-date outlook address book), which (without my meaning to) has populated the "phone" contacts on the desire as well with another 450 contacts - mostly duplicates and old numbers

now i can set the view to only show google contacts but i'd prefer not having the 450 dupes there at all

so finally my question - is there an easy way to delete all "phone" contacts but leaving my "google contacts" in the phone?
    ie not doing it individually one by one deleting.

most important i want to make sure that whatever i do doesn't delete all my google contacts online mimicing any action i take on the phone

Advertisement
  2. eske

eske Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

anyone ?... any idea?

an easy way to "delete all" contacts leaving google contacts

without deleting each one individually

there mist be a way - people screw up there address books all the time and need to re-import

3. eddyther

eddyther New Member

Same probl here, and I didn't find a solution yet.

There is an app called "merge data" from Eigo that claims to solve de problem, but it doesn't show the phone contacts as it's suppose to do (maybe it is for old versions of Android)

www.eigo.co.uk

4. TheOriginalKi

TheOriginalKi Member

What if you reset the phone and then re-sync your google contacts? I've not done this myself so it's at your own risk. I'm currently in the progress of entering all my contacts in google mail before I delete all my phone contacts, but then I don't have near as many as you!

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

hide all contacts but the phone ones, then menu > delete.

You have to tick each one you want to delete, but its a lot quicker than manually going inside each contact to delete them!

spencet30 likes this.
  6. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

considering it took gmail all of 1 minute to fully download all of my contacts when i deleted everything on a factory reset, why not just delete them all?

7. Das_Jeeb

Das_Jeeb Well-Known Member

If you press menu when you're in the screen where you tick the contacts I think it gives you the option to 'select all'

spencet30 likes this.
  8. Marianne

Marianne Member

Thank you ever so much for that tip! I'm finally rid of my phone contacts that I synced by mistake. :D

9. dafo_dill

dafo_dill New Member

Thanks Marianne, it worked perfectly. It's so good you people take the time to write these tips on here.:)

10. spencet30

spencet30 Member

It worked for me too! Thanks so much guys! I sorted my view to phone contacts only. Then I hit delete from the main contacts screen. All 247 of my phone contacts were deleted. Some of my Google contacts got deleted as well, but as soon as I went back to the main contacts screen my phone began to sync with Google. I'm good!!! thx!!!!!!

11. ProphetZarquon

ProphetZarquon New Member

OK, maybe it's because they are all "Linked" between my phone and Google (not that I'm given a choice during import) but even with Google contacts hidden, deleting a contact from my phone always removes it from Google as well. Is there a good way to unlink them all at once?

12. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Just turn off contact sync for your gmail account in settings>accounts and Sync.

Then delete all your contacts. As sync is turned off, the delete won't reach the gmail server (although back them up just incase).

Then when they are all deleted, turn sync back on and allow android to download your contacts from gmail

13. Nickc001

Nickc001 Well-Known Member

Just go into manage applications a press clear data for the contacts storage will delete all, then hit sync on accounts and settings and bobs your uncle all your Google contacts are back.
    Good luck

ReverendOD likes this.
  14. ReverendOD

ReverendOD Member

That did the trick.... clean and simple.

15. sreera

sreera New Member

If you have access to PC... best way is to do using PC suite... it doesnt affect any other contacts/accounts...

16. Dipa84

Dipa84 New Member

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank You. It solved my problem. :D