• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delete email from server?

Once I delete an email I've read on my phone, can I have it set so that it deletes it from the mail server? It's pretty annoying that I'm seeing these emails again when I login to webmail. I don't see an option in email settings.

This was an issue in my phone as well, I have always used WinMo. Under settings, you simply choose "Keep on Server" or "Delete from Server," at least on Windows Mobile.

I actually don't like deleting Emails from my account, if I delete them on my phone. I use my phone as a sort of flash news alert device, if something catches my eye I'll respond to it, or look at a reply on forums etc... but for anything important or something I need to have a computer screen to enjoy, I use my laptop at home.

Upvote 0
I've been using K9 and it works great! If you are using IMAP and delete a message, it will be deleted off of the server and any other device that also has that e-mail set up as IMAP.

For example, I have a MobileMe account that I have set up on my iPad and on my Droid X. If I get a new message, it shows up on both. If I pick up the Droid X and delete the message, it will also disappear from my iPad. The same is true if I first read and delete the message on my iPad.

POP3 is a different story. You can set it to delete a message off of the server, but if you have another device that has already checked mail too before you delete it, it will stay until you delete it from there too. And sometimes it doesn't appear to delete off of the server at all, so I've had mixed results with POP3.

IMAP works great though with both Gmail and MobileMe.

Upvote 0
I've been using K9 and it works great! If you are using IMAP and delete a message, it will be deleted off of the server and any other device that also has that e-mail set up as IMAP.

For example, I have a MobileMe account that I have set up on my iPad and on my Droid X. If I get a new message, it shows up on both. If I pick up the Droid X and delete the message, it will also disappear from my iPad. The same is true if I first read and delete the message on my iPad.

POP3 is a different story. You can set it to delete a message off of the server, but if you have another device that has already checked mail too before you delete it, it will stay until you delete it from there too. And sometimes it doesn't appear to delete off of the server at all, so I've had mixed results with POP3.

IMAP works great though with both Gmail and MobileMe.

I have POP3 Email through GoDaddy with my domains I own... works very well on WINMO, and I'll be finding out soon with Android! :)

Does Android have the same auto set-up for Emails WINMO has?

Upvote 0
1) Open "Email" application from any page
2) If more than one email account, select the account you would like to delete messages from server on
3) Click on bottom left persistent menu button to bring up options
4) Click "more"
5) Click "account settings"
6) Scroll down and click on "Incoming settings"
7) Scroll down and find drop down box allowing for "Delete email from server", and select "When I delete from Inbox"
8) click next

This feature does not work on Gmail or other similar accounts. It has worked for me for my GoDaddy email accounts to delete the messages moving forward out of both the phone and web inboxes.

Upvote 0
Hmmm ... which version of K9? I stick to the mainstream releases, and am currently running K9 v3.803. The 3.9 versions were buggy.

On the Droid X, I empty the trash folder the same way you do, and have never had a problem.

The other way is to long press on an account, and pick "Empty Trash" from the menu that pops up.

Upvote 0
Hmmm ... which version of K9? I stick to the mainstream releases, and am currently running K9 v3.803. The 3.9 versions were buggy.

On the Droid X, I empty the trash folder the same way you do, and have never had a problem.

The other way is to long press on an account, and pick "Empty Trash" from the menu that pops up.

I tried that and k9 seemed to want to do something but after 30 seconds or so it shut down. Baffled:thinking:.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones