• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delete FTP Folder with Phone App

A curious issue ... I’m beating on the FTP manipulations from my phone On the FTP domain if I have ...
Folder A
File A1
File A2
Sub Folder B

File B1
File B2
... and delete Folder A ... the result is an error message and ...
Folder A
Sub Folder B
This behavior is true for X-plore and ES Explorer.

I re-installed File Manager HD (just for this test) and it deletes the entire structure.

... Thom

Last edited:
Pretty clear that X-plore and ES have implemented that as an ftp mdelete as that's the expected result from that command.

Other clients may implement that as a recursive remove (rm -r) but that's sometimes resisted because it's behavior not strictly within the standard. (Fwiw, FileZilla for Windows may support it but the implementation seems to have changed over time, lftp in Linux supports recursive removal differently although not everyone is familiar with that client in the Linux user group.)

Is this one of the issues you've discussed with the X-plore dev?

If you get time and want to check, how does AndFTP do at this?

"AndFTP (your FTP client)"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andftp

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
I just installed it and got the same result. It deletes all the files in the folder and subfolders. It does not delete the folder or subfolder. (Many times you have to attempt to connect multiple times ... never encountered this before with any FTP client.)

The X-plore person could not induce the problem. I provided additional information and am waiting for a response.

... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones