Delete GOOGLE account

Last Updated:

1. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to delete a GOOGLE account after rooted. I've tried all the suggestions about clearing data but it still says there are apps dependent on this.

I can't log into the market because it wants to use the old account.

I had to make a new account because my other one has been compromised.

Can I do a factory reset? Will this ruin the ROM flash?

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Try this.

Don't forget to erase (using Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications) the data and cache areas for the apps which are likely to have data lying around from the old account; there are a number of different apps mentioned in the above post.

You probably could do the "rm /data/system/accounts.db" commands with the live OS running, but it is cleaner to do it via adb and the recovery boot.

After you have everything cleaned up, try and use the Market - it should immediately prompt you to set up a new account.

Note that the only testing of this that I have done was with Froyo IIRC, so with 2.1 YMMV.

eu1

PS. As always, make a Nandroid backup before you begin. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything but your time.

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

(Sorry, I missed the above question last night)

Yes, you can do a "Wipe data/factory reset" in Amon_RA, and that will delete all the settings, data, and accounts off the phone. (It does not touch the phone activation state, though - no need to do a *228 afterwards). The phone will be in the same state as it was when you first flashed the ROM onto the phone - unconfigured.

The one way that dev ROMs (with their custom recoveries) differ from stock HTC roms when it comes to factory resets is exactly that one little detail: if you do a factory reset from the OS on a stock 2.1 Eris, all your data and settings are wiped from the phone - and so is the activation state of the phone. This activity is actually performed by the recovery boot, and the Amon_RA recovery is only partially compatible with what HTC does with their recovery.

So, if you use the OS to launch a "factory reset" with a dev rom, you will (probably) get the phone wiped of data & settings (including Google accounts), but not phone activation data.

eu1