• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delete MP3's from music library?

Hi Ho

Jun 5, 2010
How do I remove songs from the music library without deleting them from the SD card? I have some MP3's used as ringtones and even stuff in my Downloads folder showing up in the music app. I don't want these files playing when I'm playing shuffled music.

For those who knew this trick before they copied their MP3's to their SD card I would guess this works fine.

What if you added the .nomedia file to the folder *after* the MP3's were in the Library?

Adding the file did not remove them from the library...
Neither did deleting the files from the SD card...
I even tried formatting the SD card -- didn't work.

Maybe this is a problem with WinAmp?

Can I put the .nomedia file at the lowest level folder and have it apply to all sub-folders?

I have the following files/folders...
\AudioBooks\.nomedia
\AudioBooks\BookA\BookA1.mp3
\AudioBooks\BookA\BookA2.mp3
\AudioBooks\BookB\BookB1.mp3
\AudioBooks\BookB\BookB2.mp3
would the .nomedia file work for BookA and BookB?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I tried deleting files & rebooting -- the file was still in the library
I eventually had to format the SD card and reboot

(at first it appeared the files were still in the library even after formatting the SD card but after a few seconds they disappeared)

I copied all the files back (with the .nomedia files strategically placed) and all is well with the world.

I added the .nomedia file to my \audiobook folder so all subfolders were covered by this one file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones