• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete number associated with phone?

adegiulio

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
My friend gave me his Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. I only plan on using it as a wifi device and GPS. I did a system reset which deleted all of his apps and such, but his number is still associated with the phone. I followed some directions online about dialing ##PROGRAM, using a passcode 000000, then going into User Authentication and zeroing out the values. I got an error with everything I tried... so now I'm at a loss...

Any thoughts on how to do this? Also, if I wanted to use this phone for a second line, is it just a matter of getting a prepaid sim card?

Thank you all for the help, and happy Autumn :)

The phone number is on the SIM card and cannot be erased unless you activate the phone on VZW with a different number. You can get a new, unprogrammed SIM card and that will make the number go away. Apparently the phone will not function without a SIM card in it and you won't be able to activate the phone on any of the GSM carriers because it is hard locked to reject domestic (US) GSM carriers.

What's the issue with the old number being on it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones