delete preinstalled apps?Support

Last Updated:

1. TMoVibrant

TMoVibrant Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to delete preinstalled apps on the Vibrant? I wanna get rid of apps like:

Amazon MP3
    GoGo
    MobiTV

If I can get rid of them how I do disable them? I keep using task killer to kill these apps but they start on their own.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. djquick

djquick Well-Known Member

Yes, root your phone, download root explorer, then delete the bloatware you would like to remove. There is a topic about that at XDA forums.

3. presence06

presence06 Well-Known Member

I've never seen the pre-installed apps running in the background. Even in Services. Not sure if you have a glitch or what. I have opened the apps and never seen them in any kind of "task" manager running. But like post above, you need to root and then you can remove them. Go to the XDA forums and read instructions.

4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Rooting is a necessity for getting rid of the junk. Titanium Backup does a good job as well for getting rid of unwanted apps. And yes, Root Explorer as well. presence06 has a good suggestion of going to xda for more in depth instructions.

xda-developers

5. TMoVibrant

Thanks all. I was a bit hesitant in doing the root route (say that 3 times fast, lol).

I read that if you make a mistake it can void your warranty and make ure phone useless...so was wondering if there was an app on the market.

presence06, when I go into my 'task manaer' app i alway see Settings, TeleNav GPS navigator, Gallery, Gmail open which makes me think they are running in the bg. Otherwise why else would they appear there? I kill them and they keep coming back.

I'll look at the root option and hope don't f*ck up the phone, lol.

6. djquick

djquick Well-Known Member

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

I have yet to see anyone who can brick their phone just by rooting it. Rooting is completely safe if you follow the instructions. It's what you do after rooting that messes up your phone.

First of all, never remove google talk. Android Market utilises a component of Google talk.

Do not flash roms unless if you know what you are doing. Also, unless if really necessary, do not apply lag fix.

Before removing a default app, try freezing it first. Use your phone like that for a few days to make sure it is completely safe to remove the app. Some apps cannot be restored once removed.

Settings, gallery, music player, etc. Some of these apps seems to be necessary for background processes. Killing them only means your phone will have to load them again almost immediately. If you notice that some apps reload themselves continuously, just leave them alone.

8. TMoVibrant

snapper.fishes If you notice that some apps reload themselves continuously, just leave them alone. -- but that's pretty much all the apps I wanna remove. Not sure why Amazon MP3, TeleNav GPS navigator, Gallery, Gmail would restart on their own. But if I have to leave them alone then no point in rooting the phone, right?

djquick, thanks for those useful link.

9. w_bovine

Do you use Titanium Backup? If so, do you know if frozen app remains frozen after rebooting? If not, what do you use to freeze an app?

10. drelevonne

drelevonne New Member

I had no problems rooting my first vibrant, but apparently I deleted a needed app because after I got rid of apps I didn't want, I could no longer use the market to download anything.

Is there a list of apps that although you may not want, are needed for phone function?

11. w_bovine

For the most part you don't want to delete system apps, but there are exceptions (can't say I have an actual list however).

Do NOT delete anything "Google," most notably Google Talk. That will cause problems.

You may need to reinstall the OS to get back to normal.