• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delete trash from gmail preinstalled app

You can't delete the messages in the trash from the gmail app as far as I know. If you go to gmail.com from your computer then you can select them and delete them there. Alternatively, you can just wait for them to be deleted automatically. The following disclaimer is printed at the very top of the trash view when viewing gmail.com from a standard browser:

(messages that have been in Trash more than 30 days will be automatically deleted)

Upvote 0
grrrrr...I had a really long post explaining all this and it disappeared and I was logged out.

cliff notes:
1. you can only delete one at a time by long pressing each one and selecting delete
2. check your sync settings mine were turned off for everything but inbox
menu.more.settings.labels.change the settings in here for each label you wanted synced.

If your trash label was not set to sync, like mine....you will notice you have a ton of "trash" emails on the phone that are not online. mine hasn't synced right since Oct 30. simply changing the settings did not fix this right away, and I am unsure of how long it will take for the two to sync back up correctly. i also noticed that prior to changing the sync settings...deleted emails just came back

ultimately the best way to fix all of this will be to delete trash from the web on the desktop gmail ...refresh on desktop, sync email on phone, then delete what is on the phone one by one

Upvote 0
scratch all of that...something still isn't syncing correctly...after 15 minutes I synced gmail on the phone and all of the emails I manually deleted came right back into trash...

wow...something is seriously jacked up here

the problem with deleted them on the desktop is that these emails aren't even showing up on the desktop in trash.

I am going to give it a few days and see. I still suspect that turning off the sync for everything but inbox is the culprit

Upvote 0
Yea just everything I delete goes to trash and I can't empty it. Thanks

You CAN delete it!
Go to TRASH folder -> select messages you want to delete permanently -> mark them as "Spam" -> go to the "SPAM" folder -> select these messages -> click on "Delete" button.
Thats it! They will not be in your trash, inbox or spam folder anymore.

Hope this helps others :D

Upvote 0
You CAN delete it!
Go to TRASH folder -> select messages you want to delete permanently -> mark them as "Spam" -> go to the "SPAM" folder -> select these messages -> click on "Delete" button.
Thats it! They will not be in your trash, inbox or spam folder anymore.

Hope this helps others :D
OMG... THANKS!! It worked..deleting in spam folder. Lets hope it doesn't show back up!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones